Three

Arabella, we're mice in a lion's den...
27 June 1945

Arabella, I'm truly sorry for what happened to your father. I know that I've never met him, but I can assure you, he loved you. For him, there was no better way to show it than to sacrifice his life for a shot at peaceful life for you. I'd expect no less of you than to join your brother. Though I must admit I wish you had stayed home, rather than put yourself in danger.

I don't want you to get hurt. You cannot get hurt. I won't allow it.

You're stuck with me I'm afraid, for as long as I can help it.

And that precisely is why I'm scared. Why I've been scared for a while. Ever since I reached this place, even more so now that I have you to lose. I'm so, so scared, Arabella.

I'm a mouse hiding amongst the grass in a lion's den. I'm on alert all the time. When I decided to come here I didn't think of this, how mortifying it is to be on the verge of discovery all the time.

My monthly cycle has proved to be a bit of a conundrum, truth be told. I didn't even think about that when I signed up. I've been managing, somehow. I've been snatching sanitary pads from the nurses' stations, I even overheard them complaining about the sudden disappearance of them. I might have felt bad about stealing if my life didn't depend on it

I also don't have the build of a man, or even a boy. I'm curvy and short, I have plump lips and full cheeks. Everything about me screams femininity. That didn't use to bother me one bit, I love my curves and my lips. But like everything about me, it always finds its way to ruin my life.

I can't afford to be discovered, I have so many people depending on me. If they find out what I am, who I am, a liar that is, I'm done. They punish me and send Levi as a replacement and you'd be left here alone. I would have failed my family. Again. I would have failed you, too.

I don't think I could ever face anyone again if that happened.

But that's not the only reason I'm scared. Arabella, I'm mortified for you.

Darling, don't get me wrong. I adore your smile, however rarely you allow it to creep onto your face. Your soft curves aren't too bad on the eyes either. Even though you have a much better shot than me at keeping your secret safe, thank the heavens, there's still that chance. That chance that you could be ripped away from me.

I'd give anything, anyone up if it meant you got home safely. Even Levi if it came to it. I'm not sure what that says about me but it's true.

God blessed me with his angel, and I'm sure as hell not about to give you up.

————

short chapter today so there will be two posts! remember to vote, comment, and share❤️

Current reads: 118
Current votes: 22

Wiki's Wattpad!
@wikiiif

Follow us on Instagram!
@wikiiiwrites
@swrites05

Check out Wiki's other stories!

The Scrapes of Me

Check out Syd's other stories!

The Point of A Dagger
A Glimpse Into My Mind
Moth: A Short Story
A Girl By Any Other Voice
My Divergent FanFic Series