Chapter 25 - Temporary Secretary

Janet and Diana were at home making onion rings in the yellow-tiled kitchen. Janet was the one who was frying while Diana was putting the breading and batter to the onions. Janet has finished the first batch and gave one to her niece. While chewing, Diana was amazed by the taste. “So delicious!”

“You know, you’ll be the only one who will cook for yourself after leaving this house,” Janet said, but Diana felt bad about it. “I’m gonna miss you.”

“You still have 2 weeks. Make the most out of it!” Janet told her. Diana asked as Janet returned to the deep fryer to make the second batch. “Why do you want me to move out anyway?”

“I don’t want you to move out, but I want you to live without me in your house,” Janet explained. But then, something else came into Diana’s thoughts. She was very nervous for her aunt. “Auntie, why didn’t tell me you’re sick?! Since when?”

“No, Diana, I’m not sick! I just don’t want you to be dependent all the time. Look, you’re mature enough to live on your own. I’m not kicking you out. I just want you to go to the outside world and see the reality as an aspiring 25 year old,” Janet explained. Diana sighed in relief. “I thought you’re sick or something. By the way, how did you find the ‘Rent an apartment’ wish, or even know if I wished for that?”

“When you were 18, I always hear you and Laura that ‘you want to move out somewhere else’, and maybe, it’s here in this bucket list. When you fainted, at first, I was scared for you, but then I realized that despite your condition, you’re strong enough to live on your own,” Janet explicated. Diana asked, “But how will you live here without me?”

“Same as you: Independently. Well, until Will’s break,” Janet said. Diana asked, “Also, of all the men I talk to, why do you trust Jesse so much?”

“He’s a gentleman, he’s a musician like you, he passed all the Ivy League colleges, he’s a Harvard graduate, and he actually cares about you,” Janet answered. Diana was touched when she heard the last one. She smirked and blushed unconsciously. But then, her phone vibrated from her pocket. So she checked it out and there was a message from Chand(e)l(i)er:

Guys! Meet me in my office at noon. Please don’t tell Laura anything about this.

“Auntie, I need to go to Chandler’s office. Let’s eat the rings later,” Diana said before she kissed her aunt’s cheek, grabbed her bag, and left.

-----

As she went out of the house, she saw a car stopped in-front of her house that does not look familiar. She thought it might be a creep, so she brought out her pepper spray and tried to aim it to the person on the driver’s seat, but the driver lowered the window and raised his hand. “No, Diana, it’s okay! It’s me, Chandler!”

“Then why did you still text me if you’re going to drive by here anyway?” Diana asked as she kept her pepper spray. Chandler answered, “Ask the man on the passenger’s seat who has my phone right now.”

“Hi, Diana!” she heard Jesse’s voice and saw his hand with a brown glove. Diana rolled her eyes and smiled. She opened the backdoor and sat next to Jesse and then shut it close. After that, Chandler started driving. Diana asked, “Why do you need us, anyway?”