Chapter 2 - How Do I Ever, Ever Survive

[Continuation of flashback]

(2 Years Later…)

Today was her first ever recital. Right now, she was exercising her fingers so she could play the piano very well. Some girl ballerinas who are also participating for the recital approached her. The tallest one with brunette hair asked, “Where are your parents?”

“My mommy is at the front row,” Diana replied. Then the Hispanic girl with blonde hair asked, “And where’s your dad?”

“Well, he died exactly 2 years ago, so after this, we’ll go to the cemetery-“

“Oh my gosh, you have no daddy? OMG, poor baby!” the redhead girl made fun of Diana, and the rest of her ballerina friends laughed with her. Diana does not want to be humiliated, so she replied, “Well, all of us will die too. At least my dad is now resting peacefully.”

“Peacefully, like forever,” ballerina #1 said, and all of them laughed. Before Diana was about to say something, the stage crew told them, “Girls, 3 minutes.”

“See you later, loser,” ballerina #3 said before the 3 of them left laughing at her. She wanted to cry, but unfortunately, she started hyperventilating. So she ran to the hidden corner of the backstage and used her purple inhaler. Whenever she gets too emotional, either she will hyperventilate or she will have a heart attack. Luckily, she never experienced the second one yet. Suddenly, the stage crew found Diana. He told her, “Hey, why are you hiding there? 1 minute before the call!”

Diana used the inhaler all up before going outside.

-----

(Few hours later…)

“Mommy, what is the reason of daddy’s death again?” Diana asked as she sat next to her father’s tombstone. Right now, they are in the cemetery. Good thing it was not raining on that afternoon.  Her mother replied, “Lung cancer, why?”

[A/N: Kelli Giddish as Diana's mother on Media :)]

“Do I have lung cancer like daddy?” Diana asked straightforward. Her mother replied, “Heck no! The doctor just said you have an asthma, that’s all.”

“Are you sure, mommy? With all due respect, you didn’t tell me the exact story about daddy’s sickness,” Diana felt like her mother does not trust her. Mrs. Rogers replied, “Your daddy doesn’t want to let you know that he has cancer, okay?”

“Mommy, be honest: What else are you hiding from me?” Diana asked like she was finding out something. Mrs. Rogers believes that her daughter will not understand what she is going to say, so she lied instead. “That’s it. You have asthma and anxiety attacks. Apparently, you inherited that from your ancestors. Why are you asking this?”

“I’m afraid that I won’t be living my life normally when I grow up, just like daddy,” Diana said as hot tears start to fall. Her mother sat next to her and comforted her. “Diana, you are normal yet special. You’ll live normal like the other kids out there.”