Chapter 14

We weren't even that far off the ground and I could already tell by Aaron's sudden silence and serious expression that he was really concentrating. It was funny at first, but after a while it was quite concerning.

"You're not going to fall, you know," I told him quietly. 

He climbed slowly, and I kept pace with him even though I could've been at the top a while ago. It's funny, the things you notice when you really look at someone. Especially their hands. How his finger tips where rough and calloused from playing guitar but the skin over his hands looked smooth to the touch. And how even though he was trying really hard not to show any sign of fear, his white knuckles gave him away as he gripped the rock face.

"I know," he said quickly as he reached up and slowly pulled himself a few inches higher.

"Aaron-"

"You want to know, why I like you?" he interrupted.

"Um, right now?"

"You may be stubborn, and snappy, and a huge pain sometimes, but you are also funny, and smart, you stick up for yourself, you always have, and you are one of the few people besides Grace that I can actually be myself around," he said in a rush, as if he would fall at any moment. His eyes squeezed shut and eyebrows furrowed together. "I tried not to like you, I really did. That's why I've been so mean on this trip. But I guess I can't help it," he said quickly as his hands began to shake. 

I reached over and placed my hand over his. His eyes shot open again and stared at me.

"I guess it's just strange," I said coming clean. "I've known you for so long."

"You mean we've been forced to be around each other for so long," he said at a normal pace, which was good.

I snorted, "Yeah."

"Well why don't you take a chance to get to know me in a different way?" he suggested.

I stared at him. 

"You guys! What's taking you so long?!" Connie shouted from above.

"We're coming!" I shouted back. "You can do this," I said to Aaron, who offered me a stiff nod in reply.

So we began our slow climb once again. The whole time I kept glancing over at him to make sure he was doing ok. And also about his proposal. 

And as much as I hated to admit it, I did develop feelings for Aaron. And with him being completely open about his I couldn't just sit here and deny it anymore.

"Alright," I said once we almost reached the top.

"Alright what?"

"Alright, I'll give you a chance," I said simply without looking over at him. My cheeks had heated and I didn't want him to see.

"Finally," Connie said as she came to pull me up over the edge.  I stood up to take off my harness, my back facing Aaron.

"How'd you do?" I heard Lexi ask him.

"Oh I'd say it was a success," was his answer.

***************************************

At the top of the mountain there was a waterfall where we decided to rest for a bit and eat a snack. I, personally, was dying of heat stroke.

"That's it! I can't take it anymore!" I said as I stood up.

"Where are you going?" my mother asked. 

"I'm hot, I'm getting in the water," I said as I marched towards the edge of the water.