Chapter 15

We hiked in silence, slowly making our way back up the mountain to where the fork was. We held our float just high enough off the ground so it wouldn't get popped by a rock or sharp branch on the ground.

At first it was no big deal, but hiking up a mountain in your river shoes with your arm in a certain position to keep a stupid float up is kind of exhausting after a while.

"How are you doing back there?" Aaron asked without turning his head at all.

"My feet hurt," I said solemnly. "And I'm really thirsty."

He sighed. "I know. I am too."

"The sun is starting to go down," I said quietly as the woods got darker and darker.

We had stayed by the river bed, but in some areas the brush was so thick we had to go deeper into the woods.

"Are there bears out here?" I asked nervously.

I usually thought bears were cute animals, and I'm not just talking about teddy bears. But the thought of running into one at night when we have no means to protect ourselves was a little less then nerve racking.

"I don't know," he said honestly.

"Do you think we'll make it back before dark?"

He sighed and looked around. "We might have to spend the night out here."

I stopped. "Where are we going to sleep?"

He stopped and turned around to face me. "Well, you can use the float as a bed, and I guess I'll just sleep on the ground.

"What? No. That's ridiculous."

"Well what do you suggest?"

I paused. "We can just share the float," I said awkwardly.

His eyebrows rose. "Are you sure?"

I shrugged. "I mean why not? The ground would be hella uncomfortable, and we've known each other practically our whole lives, so..." I trailed off.

He was silent for a moment. I looked up through my lashes to see him grinning.

I fidgeted. "What?"

"I'm not used to seeing you like this," he said as he reached out and ran his thumb over my chin.

I leaned back a little so his hand would drop. "Like what?" I asked, trying to shake off the feeling of his soft touch.

"All awkward and nervous," he said smuggly as he stepped closer.

As much as I wanted to step back, I fought the urge and stayed put. "Pssh. I'm not any different then I was a few days ago," I insisted.

He smirked. "Hmm," he said as he tilted his head down a little bit. "You sure about that?" he said as he kissed my cheek.

I slowly nodded. "Yup."

"Positive?" he asked as he slowly moved to the other side and placed a soft kiss on the other cheek.

I gulped. "One hundred percent."

"Hm," he said as he brought his lips directly in front of mine, resting his forehead against my own. My heartbeat picked up and my lips slightly parted. "Whatever you say," he sing-songed as my eyes fluttered closed. But then his forehead left mine and I opened my eyes in disappointment.

"We should keep going. The sun hasn't gone down completely yet and we should use up as much sunlight as we can," he said as he turned back around and picked up the float.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Aaron will never stop annoying me. But this was the only time I wouldn't let him know it.