Chapter 6

"UGH! MOM! This anti-itch cream does diddly-SQUAT!" I shouted as I scratched at my legs. The poison ivy was all over my legs in red blotches. 

A heard a chuckle from behind me. "You know, scratching it only makes it worse," he said as he came to take a seat beside me.

I looked up to glare at him. "This is your fault you punk."

He shrugged. "You wouldn't share your bug spray."

I scoffed.

"Honey, I'm sorry, but that's all we have," my mom said as she walked up to us. 

I sighed. "You know what would make me feel better?"

She rose an eyebrow. 

Alright, time to put on the ultimate puppy dog face. "Letting me go to the bonfire tomorrow night."

She frowned. Not a good sign. "I thought that already happened."

"It got pushed back due to rain. So can I go?"

"Charlie, this is a family camping trip. You can see your friends when we get back."

"But Moooom!"

She rubbed her temples. "Alright, how about this. Us adults are playing poker soon. We'll let you play, and if you win, I'll let you go to the bonfire. But if I win, we get to extend the vacation. Deal?" she asked with a small knowing smile.

Sweet Mother of Pizza.

Arg. My parents were excellent at card games. Including Poker. And she knew it.

Ah screw it, this is my only chance. 

"Deal."

"Wait, do I get to play?" Aaron asked. 

My mother smiled. "Sure, Aaron."

"Ok, then I want to add my own condition," he said as he stood up. "If I win, Charlie and I get to go to the party together, and we get to stay there for a few nights."

My jaw dropped. Aw hell to the na.

My mother chuckled. "I have no problem with that, but you'll have to check with your mother about that first," she said before walking away. 

"Um, hello?" I said as I waved to get his attention. He looked down at me and smirked as he rose an eyebrow. 

"What?"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I asked angrily. I didn't want to have to drag him to the bonfire.

He crossed his arms over his chest, clearly enjoying my frustration. "You're not just leaving me here with our crazy parents and emotionally crazed thirteen-year old girls. If you get to ditch, I'm coming with."

I groaned. "Fine. But if you don't win, don't count on me taking you," I warned.

He frowned. "Oh come on, I could've just said that I wanted to go see my friends at home for a few days, but no. I chose to help you out, 'buddy'. So you should be thanking me."

And I felt bad. I really did. And I was about to apologize when a bird shit on his head.

Yup. All in that gorgeous hair of his.

He held his hand out. "Is it raining?"

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing.

I stood up and grabbed his hand. "Come on, bird boy."

His face scrunched up in confusion and it was oddly adorable. "First frog man, and now bird boy?"

I giggled. "Just don't touch your hair."