Martin Gore

@80sfanficwriter

"Hello angel." Martin quietly entered your shared bedroom, not wanting to distress you any more than you were already. He knew that finding you in bed in the middle of the day with the blinds shut wasn't a good sign.

You didn't feel the need to greet him back and covered your face even more with the duvet. You felt the mattress dip under his weight and soon felt his hand pull the duvet out of your grasp and from your face. You opened your eyes to meet his piercing green ones. He hovered over you to open the blinds and the light made you squint your eyes, hiding your face under the duvet again.

"I'm a disgrace." You spoke up, breaking the silence between the two of you. Martin moved closer to you and caressed your face with the back of his hand.

"You're not, don't say that." He whispered, hurting for you. "How'd it go today?"

"Can't you tell? If I passed my driver's test I would've been sitting downstairs with a cuppa for you." You kind of snapped at him. "Everything goes wrong, I'm just not worth it."

Martin swallowed harshly. He hated seeing you so hurt and vulnerable. Your mind was destroying your way of living, thinking that everything was your fault and you could've been better. "You need to realise that this is not your fault. I can't stress enough how perfect you are. I-"

"I am perfect in your eyes." You interrupted your boyfriend. "In my, and everyone else's eyes I am nothing but failure. Each and every day. This was my fault today. I needed to practice more and had to be more careful of my surroundings."

"Needed to practice more." Martin huffed. "You spent almost all your time and money on lessons. You fail because you don't believe in yourself, that's the problem. You have to know that you could've passed the first time if you just had some faith in yourself, I'm certain of that."

"You're not my examinator are you now, Mart?" You whispered. It wasn't the first time he'd told you that, but if only you could take him for his word and magically gain confidence. "I think I'm just going to take a break from trying and do it again when I feel like it."

"That's a great start. You shouldn't push yourself too hard, love." He put his feet up on the bed and pulled you into him, cuddling you tightly. "You should take a break in general. From everything. I know you'd love to come on tour with us and explore the world that lies outside boring old England."

You nodded, burying your face in his chest, inhaling his comforting scent.

"Then come. Who's keeping you from going abroad?"

You shrugged.

"I'm packing your bags."