A Pirate's Life for us

It was a warm summer day on the mysterious Sea of Thieves. The people living at Golden Sands Outpost began to lit their lanterns as the sun slowly started to dissapear behind the horizon to the west.

But before the sun set however, a galleon approached and lay anchor and the dock. It was the legendary Royal Fortune, the ship of the Captain Estella Cortez and her crew. It could easily be identfied from far away by the dark purple sails with a skull and two crossed pistols on it. The figurehead was a woman depicted a warrior queen with a sword and shield.

The pirates at the dock greated them friendly and asked about their voyage. Captain Cortez simply smiled and promised to tell them when they finished up restocking the ship with food, cannonballs, planks and other provisions. The crew readily agreed after Estella handed them a purse filled with gold coins.

Jacob scoffed at that. The prices for supplies and repairs were much higher than in the navy. Apart from that he barely missed anything about his old life. He still thanked the Lord for the day he was rescued by the crew of the Royal Fortune. He had long forgotten his old family back in England. This crew... they were his family. Sure they were a weird bunch of different people put they all shared the same dream: Be free and enjoy life.

He was so wrong about pirates. They were not a band of savages who were hellbent on destroying, killing and plundering everything in their path. Well... not entirely  at least.

But the pirates life was so much more. It was a life for people that didn't fit anywhere and were not good at honest work. The crew was a community were all were equal despite their rank. He grew to admire that. These people had thrown their old life away and risked everything by becoming a pirate, an outlaw. Some had titles and wealth, they already had everything and still they threw it away. At first he thought they were fools but now he understood why they did it.

Because they choose their own fate.

Because they wanted to achive something on their own.

Because they didn't want a boring life.

Because they wanted to bow to no one.

"So what it's going to be?" Tina, the woman who ran the tavern, asked him. "Tea perhaps?" she grinned and spoke in a clearly sarcastic tone.

Jacob rolled his eyes. He was part of this famous pirate crew and Tina still liked to joke about his noble birth. "Your best grog of course. You do say it is the best in all the Sea of Thieves after all."

"And I stay by me word." Tina proudly declared as Jacob gave her his tankard. It was a decorated one, a present from the order of souls for all the cursed skeleton skulls he and his crew had brought them. "How do you want it? With sugar or lime?"

"Both please." Jacob said and gave her a gold coin extra, earning a bright smile Tina. "Oh wait." he said and searched his pockets. Finally finding what he was looking for, he presented Tina with a shell. It was extremely colorful. "For your necklace." he statted. "You did say you like to add beautiful things and I thought..."

"I'll be damned, you remember." She picked up the shell and smiled. "Wow... thats so nice of you."

Jacob smiled. He loved to see the bright faces of happy peopple. It was the original reason why he joined the Grand Maritime Union. Turns out, he could do this much more and better as a pirate. "Of course."

Truth be told, Tina liked Jacob even though she liked to crack jokes about him. He was one of the nicest guys she had ever met so far. He dressed in a fine redcoat, treated people with mutual respect and not pity as privileged people like him usually did and he was a fierce fighter. Of course, Tina would never say that to his face. She enjoyed teasing him.