The Return of the Gold Hoarder

Four people were standing at a table with five seats. One of them was of course Davy Jones but the three others were a shock to the pirates.

There was Duke, the former representative of the Bilge Rats under Larinna.

The masked stranger, now without a mask, was there as well. And they would recognize her voice everywhere. Wanda, an old Blacksmith from Golden Sands Outpost who was cursed and then raged war on the outposts as a the skeleton lord 'Warsmith'.

And then there was someone they did NOT expect to be there: The Gold Hoarder. A famous Skeleton Lord whom they defeated just a few months ago.

"How can that be? We destroyed him?!" Jacob whispered. His captain only shushed him and they continued to listen in.

"Well Jones? Was your dalliance with the Siren Queen not all you dreamed it might be?" Wanda asked.

"Pah! The Sirens are loyal to me as long as I can summon their precious 'daughter' However, they cannot guard my Locker if pirates sail free and interfere without consequences. That is why I have sought new orders...."

"Jones... obeys...?" the Gold Hoarder asked. Even his voice was the same as it was all that time ago. A voice that still haunted the crews nightmares. But what he said peeked their interest. If Jones was not the leader of the Bretheren... then who was?

"Oh ho? The legendary Davy Jones is now in service to another? Tell us, who might this fearsome individual be?" Wanda asked.

"The blaggard who absconded with my heart...." Jones quickly changed the subject before he could tell who it was. "Now then. This Dark Brethren court has formed and our strength will continue to control the seas once and for all."

Now it was Duke's turn to speak up. "Not even Captain Flameheart has been able to conquer the Sea of Thieves. Why should we expect to succeed?"

"Flameheart was blinded by his own rage and obsessed with killing. Control of these waters is not about slaughtering our enemies. It's about what happens next."

"You are talking about the Ferryman." Duke realized.

"Aye, with the power of the Treasure I possess and the full force of the Dark Brethren at my side, we finally have might enough to destroy his vessel."

"And you will be his replacement?"

Jones leaned forward and smiles. "I most certainly will, Warsmith. And only those pirates who swear and oath to the Bretheren will return from my vessel. We'll command every pirate on the Sea of Thieves. But that's only the beginning of the captain's plans. And those who follow orders will be handsomely rewarded."

His words stung Estella and her crew. A cold shiver ran down their shoulders. If they succeeded, it would mean the end to freedom. The end to piracy. It was already ending outside of the Sea of Thieves. But here behind the Devils Shroud, this Sea of Thieves, this was their place.

They could NOT allow that.

Davy Jones turned to face the Gold Hoarder. "As I promised, Gold Hoarder, 882 gold coins. The Aztec gold of Cortes! Payment in full for your obedience." It was the same gold treasure that had once befallen Jack's first mate Barbossa.

"Cor... tes... Cursed."

Jones laughed. "Aye, by a treasure bathed in blood. Now, any mortal who takes as much as a single coin will be punished for all eternity. You yourself have paid the price for such greed before."

"Where.... is Capn'?" the Skeleton lord asked and pointed to the empty seat.

"That is not your concern." Jones answered. "Once we've secured this world for the Brethren, he'll sail to us. Now, the preparations are complete. It's time to bridge the world and take our rightful place as Lords of the Seas. Begin the ritual." The Dark Brethren Court left the room, allowing Estella and her crew to get down there.