Jacks Memories

The journey back to the outpost was not as silent as Jacob thought it would be. Everyone seemed to have been bitten by monkeys as they talked about the Sirens and how much Grog and money they would get from telling the story. 

All except for Jacob and Estella. He was steering the ship while Estella walked up and down behind him. It was honestly very distracting. "Something on you mind, captain? Aside from the horrors we just discovered?"

"Hilarious, Master Jacob." she muttered and finally stopped. "I shouldn't even be surprised really. We have dealt with so many threats upon the waves."

"I hear you. Skeleton ships, Ashen Lords, the Kraken, Flameheart...."

"Only Flameheart now seems like childs play compared to Davy Jones." his captain argued.

"Then we better get back to that weird lady and tell her what happened."

As always, the castaway was writing symbols in the sand when they arrived. "Let me guess: You already know why we are here, don't you?" Estella asked.

Jacob could have sworn that he saw a smile creep upon the strangers face. "To do what you do... To plunge into the icy depths and face the hatred that dwells below the waves... That is not easy. But in the dark, you found the heart of the Black Pearl... her loyal crew." she turned around to her hut. "Mr. Gibbs! You are no longer my only guest here."

Indeed, Gibbs emerged from the hut. He smiled when he saw his rescuers. "Ah we meet again. This fine woman's been tellin' me all about this Sea of Thieves we've found ourselves upon. Seems we won't be waitin' for adventure here. Unless of course the goings on in the Sea of the Damned."

The castaway stranger nodded. "Aye, I've been telling Mr. Gibbs that the Sea of Thieves is a place shaped by the lives of those who live there."

Estella raised one of her eyebrows. "How so?"

"The Cursed Captain, him not know it... but the town where he spent eternity is drawn from his own lost past..."

"And that's what got us thinking." Gibbs said. "If we can follow the footprints to find the boots what made em... we can use a man's life to find the man."

"So the Sea of the Damned is formed by the people who dwell there. You want us to follow Jack's memories until we find him, correct? How do we do that?" Jacob asked.

"Now, I've sailed with Jack longer'n most. So I've more than a few tales of his past misdeeds tucked away in the old mazard." Gibbs told them.

The stranger nodded. "Our lives are like threads in a tapestry, they loop and they tangle. The stories Mister Gibbs tell helped me tease out the golden thread of Jack's path, as it wind through the Sea of the Damned. Now if fall to you to follow it."

Gibbs raised a finger. "But, er, as to Jack's precise location... we're still at a bit of a loss." The pulled out the mysterious compass. "You'll need this back for the best chance of findin' him."

Estella took the compass. "If what you want most truly be to save the Sea of Thieves from Davy Jones, then the compass will point the way. All I can do is draw back the veil." Once again, the strange woman conducted a ritual that opened up a portal into the Sea of the Damned.

"Uh, before you go... There's plenty about Jack's life that's strange, or peculiar, or downright inconceivable! So I've scrolled down all that I can in these here notes. You'd best take them for the journey." Gibbs warned them and held up a book.

Francois took the book from him, giving him a bewildered look. "You are not coming with us?"

"I'd tag along if I could, but if I try to leave without making reparations for the lass, Larinna, who gave us food and lodging, not even the Sea of the Damned will hide me."