Chapter 9

The next morning they were testing the drone, JJ and Pope were watching the monitor while Emilie, Kie and John B were under water.

"What's this?"  JJ asked pointing to one of the controls.

"Don't touch that."

"I'm trying to work out this thing."

They watched on the monitor as Emilie accidentally inhaled water and started coughing and laughing, she swam up to the surface and continued coughing while laughing.

"Oh my god I'm dying!" She sputtered out still coughing.

"You okay?" JJ asked from the dock but all he got was more coughing in response. "Okay."

"God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drones?"

"Technicality it's not a drone. It's an ROV."

"Shut up. Shut up."

Kie and John B emerged from the water, Emilie was coughing a little less.

"Oh my god, what is that" Kie pretended to be scared knowing Emilie would freak out because of her fear of the ocean.

"What, what, what." Emilie yelled looking around, "What was what?" She asked.

"I think it might have been a turtle." John B said.

She started freaking out and started swimming as fast as she could towards the ladder.

"No, turtles! Please don't eat my toes!" She yelled and ended up inhaling more water and entering a coughing fit while climbing up the latter.

"Ahh, my lungs are burning!" She said as JJ passed her a towel, "I feel like I just smoked 69 joints."

"Why 69?" he asked her.

"I like that number."

"Hey, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim."John B calls from the water.

"It's bullshit, why do we have to do that?" JJ asks.

"Well, there is maritime salvage law." Emilie states from her position laying on the ground taking a breather.

"You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up." Pope continued.

"We can do whatever we want, it's a free country!" Emilie said slightly out of breath.

"I know. I know. It's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro." JJ says.

"As soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp." John B states.

"How do you know all of that?"

"Cause my dad said it, like, a million times."

"Yeah, that's fair." Kie says.

"This tether is, like, really long. In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around." Pope said.

"Then we'll go at dead calm." John B says.

"At slack tide?"

"So now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather."

They all looked at the sky.

"And today is not that day." JJ said.

They returned to the Chateau and Emilie immediately flopped down on the hammock. While the rest of the pogues went inside. A few minutes later she feels the hammock dip.

"You smell like a wet dog," Emilie muttered to the blonde haired boy who had his head on her chest.

"What's up?" JJ asked.