Chapter Four

“Shadow, wake up.” Ravenpaw’s mew startled Shadow as she groggily raised her head in response to the paw the monotonously prodded her side. It had been about one moon since the two sisters had left their mother in search of a new life, and the thought of it was just a distant memory. “I think I have some news that will excite you. I never realized this the night before.” He led Shadow out into an open plain; they were at the top of a long, tall hill. She thought that she could see forever. A sharp, cold breeze sliced through her fur like a blade, leaving her standing there to shiver. Overnight, frost had formed over everything around them; it reflected the light of dawn, making it seem almost as if it were glowing. “Do you see the lake up ahead?” He pointed with his tail towards a humongous lake.

The pale light of dawn reflected off of the lake, making it seem as if it were filled with stars. An overwhelming scent of cats and trees wafted around Shadow as she took in a deep breath. “T-this is the vision of the lake that I had in my dream when Shimmer and I first left our mother!” She gasped as her jaw dropped in astonishment. She stood there for several moments before a whisper so soft that only she could hear rang in her ears. There will be one of dark shadows…and one of glistening light. The dark will mix with the light, and peace will come. She shook her head. Why did her thoughts repetitively emphasize on those particular words?

A sudden pounding of paws on the grass pulled Shadow out of her thoughts, but the same words kept lingering in her mind. “We woke up and you guys were gone. Is everything alright?” Shimmer gave her sister a worried glance and paced around the two others. Barley soon made his way over to them.

“Everything is fine. I was just telling Shadow that…” He cut himself off. “Do you guys know what lies ahead?” Shimmer and Barley both shook their heads, and Ravenpaw seized the opportunity and told Shimmer that it was her destiny that is ahead. “I once visited this place, but I was unable to stay. WindClan territory lies on the open moorland. RiverClan is just beyond the island you see over there.” He pointed with his tail at the directions of the Clans. ShadowClan territory is where all the pine trees are clustered. And finally, ThunderClan lies just beyond ShadowClan, where there are lots of trees and plentiful undergrowth. If you fallow this river along the border of ThunderClan, you should be able to easily find a patrol and ask them to escort you to Firestar.” After a long, painful sigh and a saddened glance at Shadow, he finally mewed, “Tell him that Ravenpaw sent you, and that I said hello.”

“S-so you’re not coming with us?” Shadow longed to wail out like a kit. Ravenpaw was the first cat to ever be her friend, and not care of her tails.

“I’m sorry…I must go with Barley back to the barn. It’s what makes him the happiest.” Ravenpaw’s voice sounded saddened.

“No, Ravenpaw, I want you to stay here with your old Clan. I will manage on my own, somehow. I know I will not be welcomed into ThunderClan, so why ruin your day by dragging you home with me?”

Ravenpaw just sat there with a saddened gaze. His yellow eyes were clouded with worry. It was easy to tell by his expression that he was trying to decide between staying or going. He sighed. “I-I honestly do not know which way to go… My heart says go back with you, but it also says stay here…” He sighed once more, allowing his claws to sink into the grass. “Maybe I won’t be allowed in ThunderClan anymore after all this time.

“Nonsense!” A deep voice bellowed from a distance off, startling all four of them. Without another word, a large brown tom began racing up to Ravenpaw. His amber eyes shone is memories flooded over him. “Ravenpaw…it’s been a while. I’m not even sure if you will remember me, but I can say one thing: You are always welcome in ThunderClan.” He gave Ravenpaw a friendly smile as Shadow sat there in silence, examining the large tom.