𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔢𝔩𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫

📍 Camelot

📍 Camelot

February, 504 AD

From a short distance away from the entrance to the castle after finishing a long trail ride with Dallas, I spotted Uther exiting the gates atop his black horse. A grin took over my lips, as it provided the perfect opportunity to ask him about something that had been plaguing my mind ever since Lord Bayard's visit two weeks prior. 

"Hey! Utah!" I called, getting Dallas to canter up to the King of Camelot, who turned around in his saddle and frowned at me. "My name is Uther," he told me sternly, raising his eyebrows. "Yeah, I know. But I don't like calling you that. Everyone calls you that. It's not original," I explained quickly with a shrug and a smile. He stared at me with a stoic expression and tilted his head. 

"Anyways, that's not what I wanna talk to you about," I said, waving off the subject. "Is everything okay, Astraea?" he asked, now looking slightly concerned. "Yeah, I'm just curious – do you know why Lord Bayard called me 'Lady Astraea' the other day?" I wondered, tilting my head as I narrowed my eyes. "Last time I checked, I'm not a noble or anything," I added with a snort, amused at the idea. The King shrugged and averted his eyes for a moment before returning them to mine. "He must have assumed you are a Lady," Uther responded, pressing his lips. "Right. I guess that makes sense," I nodded pensively as I looked down at my horse's mane. "Thanks, Utah!" I nodded at him and turned Dallas towards the castle once more.

"Although..." Uther spoke again, making me stop the Thoroughbred and turn around to face him again.  "Yup?" I asked. "I have recently been pondering the idea of taking you in as another ward," he told me as he scratched his chin. My jaw dropped. "What?!" I asked with wide eyes. He grinned a little at my reaction. "You have proven to be a great ally to Camelot, Astraea. You exposed an evil knight who was using magic, helped to sustain life when our water was contaminated, turned that crazy horse around, and last week you saved my son's life," he noted as his greyish eyes pierced my figure. I blushed and looked down. "Arthur told you about that, aye?" I asked with a nervous chuckle. "I had to force it out of him, but he was very grateful that you followed him," Uther informed. I shrunk further into myself. "That was nothing, really. Just helpin' out," I mumbled, not liking the intensity with which he was staring at me.  

"You should consider it, Astraea," he told me earnestly before walking away on his horse. 

"Oh, dear. This is a whole new level of crazy," I whispered to myself before finally returning to the castle.