Adjustments

I. Hate. People.

I finally understand why Rosalie is so moody all of the time. All you ever want to do is rip 'em apart and drain them dry. Granted, it'd be a messy affair and never would it end well but logic doesn't exactly go hand and hand with a Vampire's hunger.

I have spent the last week training. I've had to go to book stores and clothing stores and super markets to blend in and get used to being around large groups of people. It's exhausting and frustrating and I just wanna set something on fire. Jasper finds my frustration amusing so I'm glad at least one of us is having a blast.

"Hey, Thea!" Kate shouts and I hear the buzzing on her finger tips but as she touches me, I twitch and her hand sizzles. She pulls away and looks at her smoking fingers as I groan and rub my arm.

"Jesus, Kate!" I complain.

"Are you okay?" Jasper asks hurriedly as I pout.

"I was right! You do have a gift!" She grins.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"When you feel threatened, or any extreme emotions, your skin gets really hot, it burns us. I think you can manipulate heat." She concludes and I raise an eyebrow, at a loss for words.

"It makes sense." Jasper agrees and we all look to him. "Remember back at school, when I almost slipped up? It felt like you burned my arm." He recalls and I could feel all eyes on me as I look to my hands.

"Think of that again, what you felt at that time." Kate explains as she and Jasper sit on either side of me. I glare at my hands in concentration, imagining the feeling of fire in my hands again. I watch as they turn red before combusting into flames.

"Oh my god!" I scream, scaring myself and the flames away. Kate laughs happily and Jasper looks to me with wide eyes, everyone else laughing too. "Oh my god that was so freaky!" I shout, jumping up and shaking my hands.

"Looks like you're a hot head." Kate smirks.

"Whatever, shock therapist." I shoot back, making her smirk widen even more. I look over to Jasper as his phone goes off, he answers with a hello and I hear Carlisle's voice on the other end.

"How are things going?" He asks.

"Great. Turns out my mate can control the very thing that kills us." He says, the discovery of my power turning serious, "Fire."

~

"Thank you so much again." I sigh, giving each of the Denali's a hug.

"No need. Please, come back any time, we'd love to have you." Tanya smiles and I wave them off as Jasper pulls away in the car. I turn around, sighing and looking out of the window.

"Babe?" I mutter and he hums.

"What if I can't... control it now that I know I have it?" I looking down to my hands.

"You will. You have been since you've found out, and once we get home, we'll work on them some more." He encourages. I take a deep breath even though I'm not supposed to have to breathe.

"You breathe a lot." Jasper observes and I nod, confused myself.

"Yeah... I don't have to, I don't feel like I need to but doing it helps..."

"Maybe it's the fire." Jasper mumbles and I nod, knowing I've been thinking the same thing but not wanting to admit it. "I should warn you, about Bella." Jasper changes subjects. I'm sure he's keeping a close watch on my emotions. As a Vampire, every aspect of my being is heightened and that includes emotions.

"Yes she's Edward's blood singer but she appeals to all of us." Jasper continues and I nod again.

"Great." I mutter and recline the seat, closing my eyes from exhaustion but not falling asleep. It's going to take me a while to get used to this not sleeping thing.

"Hey, Hot Head." Jasper teases and I glare over to him, "Tell me something." He smiles and I grab his hand, rubbing patters in his skin, over his scars.

"I'm your girlfriend." I reply.

"You bet your pretty little face."