девятнадцать (Nineteen)

"That was me." 

"What?" cried Sascha. "Yelena-"

The blonde stopped and looked back at Melina.  "Yeah, that was me. And you," she nodded to Nat. "You got out. Dreykov made sure no one could escape. Are you going to say anything?" Nat said nothing, but looked away.  "No. No I don't think so." Melina reached out to her but she batted her hand away. "Don't touch me."

"Yelena," Nat tried. 

"No." With that she stormed away, slamming the door of the furthest room and locking herself away, away from them. 

"That was me..." Her words rang in their ears, in their minds. 

"I had no idea," sighed Melina. 

"It's okay," Alexei told her.

"It's not okay!" Sascha cried. "How can you say that?"

"I'll go talk to her-" He rose to stand. 

"No, you stay away from her!" Now Sascha stormed away too, after Yelena, also away from them, away from them all.

Except for Yelena. She was always the exception. Always had been, always would be. 

She waited a few moments outside the sealed doorway before gently calling, "Lena, it's me." When she received no response she gently pushed the door open. Yelena was sitting on the rug on the floor, back up against the bed, shot glass in one hand, half-empty vodka bottle in the other, her head drooped low.

"You look like me after a night of visions and no sleep." Sascha sank down next to the blonde who wouldn't look at her. "What happened?"

A long, silent moment, and then, "Oksana."

"Hmm?"

"You know after we fled, when the Room caught up to us, and we separated for a few months to try and throw them off our scent?"

Then it clicked. "Oh no-"

"Yes. I guess they'd implanted whatever chemicals in my brain during my training so they could activate it once I was back in their grasp. They activated my chemical subjugation and put me to work, a test subject, a test and show of my efficiency perhaps. Oksana was the former Widow who created the counteragent, and I think she was one of, if not the, Widow Messenger we've been hearing from, banding together with others to bring the Red Room to its knees. She was my target, in Morocco. I was leading a team of Widows. I was on a mission to retrieve it and she exposed me, and - and I killed the Widow who freed me..."

"You had no choice. What happened after that?"

"I fled. I cut out the tracker from my leg and got the hell out of there. And I haven't forgotten it."

"Oh Lena - why didn't you tell me?"

"How could I? I was ashamed-"

"And you think I haven't done things I'm ashamed of? And do you see me as any different?"

Yelena looked away. "That's different."

"No, it's really not." Sascha took her hand and gave it a squeeze. "This is all so screwed up, Yelena. But don't worry, we're going to end this."

"You know how before I was telling you how there are no choices? I still don't know. You're fully conscious but you don't know which part is you - I'm still not sure." 

"I do."

"Sascha-"

"You said it yourself, she freed you. I know you, Yelena. And that's not you. That's not you."

Finally, Yelena looked at her. 

The door creaked then and both fell silent. Alexei peeked his head in. "Sorry to interrupt-"

Yelena didn't look at him but cut in. "I came in here because I didn't want to talk."

"Okay... We just sit then. We just sit-"

"GET OUT!" Yelena whipped her still partially full shot glass at him, spraying glass and vodka across the room when the glass struck the wall.

Sascha rose to her feet. "I'll leave you. I think you need to talk. Please be nice to one another." And with that she left them - father and daughter - to talk. 

Back out in the hall she found a serious Natasha and Melina standing there. "Well, what's going on?"

The two women - mother and daughter - exchanged a glance. "Melina's alerted the Red Room about our presence. They're on their way," Natasha stated. 

"What?" Sascha's head flew back and forth between the two women.

"We have plan," Melina explained. "And we're letting you in on it."

"I'm flattered... So what is this plan then? Besides alerting our enemies?"

"What do you think?" Nat told her. "We're going to the Red Room and we're going to kill Dreykov."

(That first scene of Yelena when she's still a Red Room Widow was so intense! I love when she runs down the wall - so cool!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed as always! :))