one cup of coffee, black | lily x ricky

{author's note: i lowkey just made that up for a dumb little example but... i'm into it so i decided to write it}

lily lives closer to east high than north, but her parents being so persuasive, she technically lives with her uncle to allow her to attend north for the moment. whether she's happy about that in and out living situation or not is still undetermined, but this is very much not a girl who is used to living a life in flux.

her wavy blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail as she walks into the coffee shop just down the street from what she's come to realize is big red's family pizza shop. a few strands have fallen, framing her face in a way that's somehow almost intentional. if lily looks a bit angelic in her white blouse and pale blue skirt, she'd forgive you for assuming so. not that she's particularly learned much about forgiveness over the years.

the bell over the door rings as she steps inside, gosh she hates those things. she doesn't particularly wish to be announced right now. this was her time away from school, from home, from the musical... ironically she's brought her script, planning to work on her lines at the back corner table. a location where she could remain mostly unnoticed.

if she worked on this stuff closer to school she might get mocked for trying so hard. but lily was always very intentional, and she knew that only with intense practice would things stay at the level they needed to go get where she wants to go.

she's a bit off in her own head as it's her turn to step up and order, having been waiting in a bit of a line. the barista has to shake her out of her reverie, though thankfully not physically or maybe she'd take a cue from north's wolf puppies and bite off their hands.

"excuse me miss, miss? what would you like today?"

"oh, i'm so so sorry about that. i just got a little distracted, so many options." her tone is so sweet and gentle, especially compared to how she can be at north. she's not sure which part is her putting on an act, the kindness or the cruelty... though she suspects it's probably both sides to some extent that she plays up.

"no worries, i know there's a lot going on on that menu." the dark haired girl laughs, shaking her head as she looks over at lily. "we have some new white chocolate lattes if you want something that matches your outfit."

the offer is well meant, but lily has to keep from snapping about how she should definitely not be having dairy in the lead up to the show "um- actually you know what, i think i'll just get a cup of coffee, black."

the barista seems surprised, but lily looks so innocent and is being so sweet that it's a bit confusing to hear her order something so... bitter.

"you got it. what's the name for the order?"

"lily. and can i add one of those blueberry scones please?"

"of course, let me get that warmed up for you."

lily pays, with cash of course (it's like secret money and she enjoys that she doesn't have to let her parents see all her purchases that way), and she goes to sit down at her usual table. she hums her song under her breath, and while she's trying to avoid drawing attention to herself, it's hard to avoid the feeling of others' eyes.

of course it feels like she has only just sat down when her name is called and she has to get up to walk over to the counter and grab her order. it's then that she does in fact gather someone's attention, but she doesn't know it just yet. a pair of brown eyes glance over at her as she walks back her place in the corner.

her music book and her script sit on the table along with various highlighters and two different pencils. you can't just have one, what if it breaks? the yellow wood of the pencil has chips in the coating from where her fingernails have dug into it in moments of stress.