Chapter 40: Qrow (Epilogue: Part 1)

I watched as Watts pulled the trigger to his pistol. I only had seconds to act and I managed to dodge the bullet. But just barely.

I quickly shot a few dust bullets towards his direction. His feet were frozen to the ground in seconds.

"Dust bullets, huh?" Watts asked, sneering at me. "Well two can play at that game."

He grinned and quickly switched bullets. Before I could move out of the way, I felt a jolt of electricity hit my body. I flew back several feet and hit the ground with a hard whack.

Once I was able to get to my feet, Watts had already freed himself from the ice and began to shoot at me again. I dodged a few bullets and used my blade to block a few. After a few minutes of running, blocking, and dodging them, I heard a metallic click come from Watt's pistol.

"Dammit!" he yelled, throwing it onto the ground. "I knew I should've brought extra... Guess I'll just handle this the old fashioned way."

He cracked his knuckles and began to walk towards me. Then he went flying into a nearby boulder by a strong kick.

"Take that, bastard!" I heard my sister yell.

Watts' aura shattered as he cursed and spit up blood.

"It doesn't matter if I die here," he snarled. "The Queen will take care of all of you!"

I watched as Raven started to draw out her katana, but she was quickly tackled by Hazel and body slammed into the ground.

She screamed in pain and cursed.

"Raven!" I cried out.

"I'll... distract Hazel. Take care of Watts," she yelled.

"What? But—"

Before I could answer, I felt someone punch my back hard, pain radiated from my body and I was able to get a quick look at who had attacked me. Watts.

That was it. I was done fighting. I misted wanted this guy gone. For good.

I snarled and quickly turned to face him. My body was on fire, but I didn't care. All I cared about was taking this guy out. Even if it meant taking me with him.

With my quick reflexes, I stabbed him in his stomach. He gargled up blood before falling to the ground. He was still, breathing, but was hemorrhaging fast. He wouldn't last long...

I turned my attention to Raven and Hazel. Hazel was trying to hit her with his fist, but Raven had the speed advantage. And was dodging him.

I could tell that both of them were getting tired. And one of them was going to give out eventually.

And I wasn't going to let it be my sister.

I screamed as a went flying towards Hazel with my scythe. Before he could even turn to look at me, I slashed him. This broke his aura, which seemed to annoy him. He grabbed me by my neck and threw me into the ground. I felt my aura break as I yelled in pain.

I concentrated hazard, manifesting my magic... once I had turned into my corvid form, I flew up into one of the nearby trees.

Raven, I said telepathically, Hazel's aura is broken. Now is your chance to take him out. But be sure to be fast!

Raven looked up towards the trees and made brief eye contact before she went back to fighting Hazel. She continued to dodge his attacks. I didn't have time to watch them. Summer was going to need my help. She wasn't anywhere to be seen from where I was. So she must've snuck inside the castle to find Salem.

If that was the case, then I had no choice to go after her. She was going to need backup...

I waited for a few more moments when my aura had partially built back up before flying towards the castle. Upon a closer look, I noticed that one of the windows on the side was shattered. I used it as an entrance to get inside.

I landed in my human form and took a good look around. But there was no one to be seen. The area was dark, besides the eerie glow of purple flames on the walls.

I sighed as I started to walk forward, my weapon ready.

This is going to take a while... I thought to myself.

As I walked deeper into the castle, I heard the sound of someone else's footsteps nearby.

Cautious, I gripped my weapon tightly as I walked forward.

"Who's there?" I demanded, getting ready to attack with my scythe.

As soon as a saw a hooded figure, I slashed at them immediately. But I was blocked by a blade. A sword.

"Shhh," a female voice said, "it's just me. Your teammate."

As my eyes started to adjust to the dark environment, I saw Summer standing before me, holding the Relic of Destruction strapped to her side.

"Summer?! Damn you nearly gave me a heart attack!" I said, trying not to raise my voice.

"I'm sorry," she told me. "Well, the good news is that I now have you to back me up. I know where Salem is I think. Maybe we can find her before she completes... that ritual. Or whatever it is."

I nodded. "Okay. I plan on keeping you safe, Summer. You have my word.

She smiled and took my hand. "I know you do. I'm going to keep you safe, too. Even if it means possibly sacrificing myself..."

I stared at her. "Summer... surely that won't happen. We're all going to make out of this. I believe that."

Summer looked to the ground. "...Heather didn't make it."

"She made a choice. A sacrifice to give us time. And I suggest we use that time wisely. Let's go before Felice finds us or someone else."

Summer nodded and followed close behind, gripping my hand tightly.