Chapter 29: Summer

We kissed deeply until we heard footsteps behind us. I felt my face get extremely warm as I backed away from Qrow on the couch.

"Well well... what's going on here?" I heard Raven asked.

I saw her lips curve into a smile when I turned to face her.

"N-nothing!" I said. "Qrow and I were just talking!"

Raven rolled her eyes. "Uh-huh. Sure you were..."

I looked away, completely embarrassed.

"Look, it's nice that you and Qrow are making amends, but we really should get going. We've already packed everything while you two were taking. Now all that's left to do is say our goodbyes to Leader Hayato and we can be on our way to Vale," Tai said.

I nodded, and squeezed Qrow's hand before letting go to stand to my feet.

"Very well. The airship should still be where we left it, right?" I asked.

Raven nodded and replied, "Should be. The dense forest keeps things like that hidden from any prying eyes. So The Falcon should be safe."

"Good. I suppose we should get going. Let's say our goodbyes to Leader Hayato."

Qrow got to his feet and helped Raven carry our belongings, while Tai was carrying Yang and Ruby. Everyone followed me outside and towards the village entrance, where Hayato was turned away from us. It looked like he was supervising some villagers on rebuilding their gates.

As we approached closer, I cleared my throat.
"Excuse me... Hayato?" I asked.

He turned to face me.
"Ah. If it isn't Summer and her crew. You all look like you're ready to get out of here."

I nodded. "We are, sir. We wouldn't want to intrude upon your village any longer. Thanks again for letting us stay here."

He nodded and replied. "I feel as though I should be thanking you. If it wasn't for your quick actions during when those... things attacked, our village probably would've been destroyed. So thank you, Summer. And to your friends as well. In fact, I have a little going away gift for you. Fujiyama! Come here, please."

We were all silent as a boy around fifteen years old walked up next to Hayato. He had dark  messy hair, wore armor over his clothes, and had bright silver eyes. 

"It's nice to meet you all," he said to us.

"This is Fujiyama," Hayato explained. "After seeing your remarkable skills with your eyes, he was hoping you would take him along and teach him how to use them. I think that this could be a good learning opportunity for him, but the choice is ultimately up to you."

I glanced over at everyone else. They shrugged nonchalantly.

I turned to face the leader and replied, "I suppose we could take him with us. ...But what we do is extremely dangerous. And we often run into some dangerous people along the way. Are you sure he's up for that?"

Hayato looked over at Fujiyama and waited for an answer. Fujiyama looked at me and nodded.

"Yes," he said. "I know I'm young, but I think I can do it. I'm not a bad fighter, and I can learn how to use my powers if given enough time. Please... let me come with you!"

He sounded desperate... almost excited to come along. And seeing his enthusiasm reminded me of myself when I was younger. I found him impossible to refuse.

I smiled and said, "Well, alright. Just be careful and stay near us at all times. We need to head to Vale to take care of some things, and after that the real fighting starts. We'll fill you in on everything once we know we can trust you. Understand?"

Fujiyama nodded. "Yes, ma'am. I'll follow your every lead."

"Good. I guess we should get going then. Thank you, Leader Hayato," I said.

He nodded. "And thank you, Summer. Travel safely."

The villagers moved aside to let us through the gate. Fujiyama followed closely behind us until we reached The Falcon. After we got on board and Raven checked the controls, we were taking off into the air.

We remained silent as Raven piloted us towards Vale. Tyler was in the copilot's seat, monitoring the radar.

I felt someone's hand hold mine. I gasped and turned to see who it was. Qrow was there, looking at me and smiling a bit.

"It's just me," he soothed. "Are you nervous about seeing Oz again?"

I sighed and nodded. "Of course I am. I don't know how he'll react to my return. ...Or the fact that we know the truth about Salem. I hope it doesn't lead to us fighting, but if it does, I'm going to make sure I go confront him alone."

Qrow looked worried. "Summer... I told you my thoughts on that. Let me come with you."

I shook my head. "No. I can't let you come with me. It's too risky. Please try to understand. I don't want you getting hurt."

Qrow sighed, and I leaned against him. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.

...

I was woken up by Raven shaking me.

"Summer? You better get up. We're at Beacon Academy now," I heard her say.

I gasped and quickly opened my eyes. I looked around the airship, but there was no one inside except Raven and I.

"Wait... where is everyone?" I asked.

"Tai's place," Raven said. "I dropped them off before heading here. Now if you don't mind, I'll be on my—"

I gripped her arm. "Raven. Wait."

She stopped and looked down at me.
"Yes?"

"I want you to come with me when I confront Ozpin," I told her.

Her eyes widened a bit. "Are you sure? I thought you didn't want anyone getting hurt?"

"I don't, but I'm going to need some backup. And what if the Fall Maiden is here? We'll need her to get into the vault below the school."

Raven looked thoughtful for a moment.
"...You do have a point. Fine. I suppose I'll come along. You have the relic, don't you?"

I slowly brought out the Sword of Destruction.
"I do," I said.

Raven pulled out the Lantern of Knowledge.
"Good," she said. "If we show Oz these, I bet we could get him to talk. Ready to do this?"

I sighed as I stood to my feet and walked out of The Falcon. It's been such a long time since I've seen the tower of Beacon...

I took a deep breath and started to walk towards the school.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be," I whispered to her.