Chapter 14: Taiyang

When I opened my eyes, everything was pure white. I had no idea where I was. I looked around as my vision slowly adjusted. I was laying in a hospital bed, with an IV attached to my arm. There was also a dull pain radiating from my leg. When I looked to examine it, I noticed that... I didn't have a leg. It was gone. The remaining lower part was still there, but covered with gauze.

I began to panic. I had no memory of what happened. Or how I even got here. Just as I was about to press the button next to my bed to call for a nurse, someone walked into the room. They looked like a doctor. I looked up at them, confused.

"Um... what happened?" I asked.

The doctor, a young woman in about her late thirties or so, came over to me and replied, "You were flown to Atlas to get emergency treatment for the poison that was infecting your leg. We did what we could to save it, but unfortunately we had to amputate it in order to stop the poison from spreading even further into your bloodstream. How are you feeling right now?"

"I feel okay, I suppose. Where are my teammates and friends?"

"They're in the waiting area. If you're up to it, I can allow a few of them to come see you if you'd like."

I nodded. "Yeah. I'd like to see them, please."

She smiled and nodded, then left the room. After a few minutes, Summer, Raven, and Qrow entered the room. I was happy to see them.

"Hey, Tai," Qrow said, "how are you feeling?"

"I feel some dull pain, but otherwise it's not so bad. What happened anyway? All I know is that I was poisoned somehow."

Raven nodded. "Yeah. You were shot with an arrow that was covered in poison, which spread through your leg quickly. It's a miracle that we got you here in time."

I nodded and turned to look at Summer and Qrow. Qrow looked a bit tired. But that wasn't the thing that was bothering me. Summer looked to be especially shaken. She was as pale as a ghost. And she hadn't said a word.

"Hey Summer. Are you okay?" I asked her.

She jumped and looked up to face me. She did her best to smile, but her eyes were filled with fear. I could tell something had happened.

"Yes," she replied. "I'm okay. Don't worry about it."

The doctor entered the room once again to take my vitals.

"Your vitals are looking well," she said. "I've spoken with some engineers about creating a specialized prosthetic leg for you. Is that something you'd be interested in?"

I nodded, but was a bit hesitant.
"How much will that cost?"

The doctor shook her head. "No need to worry. Atlas provides free medical care. All you'll need to pay for is the shipping fee, since it will be coming from the engineers located at the Atlesian Military Base. It could take up to a few weeks for it to get delivered. And you'll need to do some rehabilitation therapy, but other than that, there shouldn't be any issues."

I sighed in relief. I could tell by the looks of everyone else that they were feeling relieved too. Still... I couldn't help but think I was holding everyone back.

"Excuse me Doctor, but can I have some time alone with my friends, please?"

She nodded and left the room, leaving the four of us alone.

"I'm sorry about all this," I whispered to them. "If I had been more careful, none of this would have—"

"Stop," Raven said, "just be thankful you're alive. Whatever was in that poison is really strong and potent. I'm just glad to see you made it through. We all are."

I nodded, not wanting to argue.
Summer was still especially quiet. She usually wasn't like this. Unless there was something going on.

"Summer?" I asked.

She looked over towards me.
"Yes?" she replied.

"What's going on with you? I can tell something is wrong. And... I could've sworn I heard screaming just as I was waking up. Is everything alright?"

The vibe throughout the entire room shifted just then. It was no longer a relaxed atmosphere. Things felt... tense. My teammates wouldn't meet my gaze.

"Summer," I said more sternly, "please tell me. Is something going on?"

Raven and Qrow both looked over towards Summer, waiting for her response. Finally, she looked up at me, her eyes beginning to fill with tears.

"I... I'm not sure," she whispered. "But I think I might have had another vision."

I stared at her. "What was it about?"

She took a shaky breath and replied, "It was about a man named General Rune. And... his assassination. I was in a conference room, along with Lieutenant General Ironwood. And then a saw a girl sneak up close to the glass. She pointed her pistol and fired it towards the back of the General's head... and he died instantly."

I was shocked at what I was hearing. This vision sounded dangerous. And there seemed to be no way to prevent it. Unless...

"Hey, Raven," I said.

She turned to me. "Yeah?"

"Maybe you should do some spying on Salem to see what her next move is? If this assassination really is going to happen, I bet Salem would be the one to orchestrate it. What do you all think?"

I watched as all three of them nodded in agreement. But Raven looked a bit hesitant.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you right now," she told me. "How about we have Qrow do the spying? Would that be okay with you, Qrow?"

Qrow gazed over at Summer. "If our leader agrees, then yes."

Summer was quiet for a moment, before nodding in approval.

"I think that's a good idea. Salem plans things out quite quickly. And if we want to have any chance of saving the General, we'll have to be several steps ahead of her. Qrow, I want you to leave by today, and report anything about her plans. Is that alright with you?"

He smiled and nodded. "You bet. I'll leave straight away."

I watched as they embraced one another.

"Promise me that you'll be safe," she whispered in his ear.

"I will," he vowed, before leaving the room.

"So what do we do now?" Raven asked.

"You two should rest. I'll be okay by myself here," I told them.

Raven glared over at me. "I'm not about to just leave you alone. You've been through a lot. If anyone needs rest right now, it's you and Summer. I'll stay here with you."

I stared at her. "But—"

Raven shook her head. "But nothing. I'm staying. And that's that."

I sighed in defeat as Summer brought out her scroll.

"I'll contact Heather and see if she's found a place for us to stay. You two stay safe," she said, walking out of the room, leaving Raven and I alone.