04. Close Quarters

The next week had flown by rather uneventfully, but Elle didn't mind. She was slowly starting to get back to the life that she longed for— one that wasn't filled with fear and running, but her closest friends. A normal life, well as normal as normal could get.

She spent her days catching up and goofing off with George and Fred and Lee, and when they weren't doing that, she was helping out with simple tasks in the shop such as stocking the shelves with products or cleaning. Other times, she was up in her room relaxing in the flat, tidying up or reading muggle magazines which she found quite fascinating.

The joke shop had been absurdly busy that week, which was why Elle looked forward to the evenings most. Evenings meant the shop would be closed and that meant she would have more time to spend with George, although they hadn't been able to have much one on one time since her arrival.

Because of that, she settled for stolen glances during work hours from across the shop that never failed to give her butterflies, and small conversations they could fit in whenever the time was right.

It may not have seemed like much, but it meant everything to Elle. Three months without him felt like a lifetime, and she wanted as much time as possible with him to make up for lost time.

Elle found herself sitting on the counter of the near empty joke shop, glancing around at the few customers who were browsing the shelves. For as busy as they had been all week, she was surprised to see that it wasn't teaming with life, being that it was a Friday.

Lee and Juliette were indulged in a rather flirtatious conversation a few feet away, and Elle rolled her eyes loudly. She really was making her way through the group now wasn't she? Not to mention trying to weasel her way into their group as well.

There was something unsettling about her that Elle didn't like. She didn't trust her— specifically not with the way she acted towards Lee and George and even Fred at times.

It shouldn't have bothered her that she was like that, maybe it was just her personality. But, every time she saw her brush against George or wink at him, her chest tightened and jealousy overcame her. He was free to talk to whomever he pleased, she didn't care.

She had convinced herself that she didn't, but deep down, she knew the truth. The real question was, why did it bother her so much?

"Hey, you."

Elle turned to see George making his way over to her, and a smile tugged at her lips. She was surprised to see he wasn't in his work uniform. He was rather handsome in his suit and tie, but seeing him in jeans and a flannel? Even better.

"Hey, dingus," she smiled, "Why aren't you dressed for work?"

"I've got other plans," George smiled, rolling up the cuffs of his shirt, "Come on." He held out his hand and Elle gave him a questionable look. What was he up to?

Elle took his hand after a moment and jumped down from the counter. "Where are we going?"

"I haven't had a single moment alone with you since you arrived, so we're going out for the day. Just the two of us." 

A light blush had crept to Elle's cheeks as he tugged her hand lightly, pulling her through the joke shop. Although it was long overdue, she was excited to be alone with him, despite the fluttering in her stomach, which had become a common occurrence lately when she was around him, which was odd.