Chapter 19: Ricochet

Khushi finds herself staring at the note with his handwriting while an uncontrollable smile forms on her lips – when had everything changed so fortunately?

With a small tug on the curtains, she realizes she's running late when she sees several people out on the lawn already. In the midst of all the celebrations she had completely forgotten just how the time had passed. A spur of excitement courses through when it hits her – It's Aashna's wedding day!

She quickly takes a shower and wears the vermillion sari she had picked for this day before she puts on some bangles, a dainty necklace and matching golden jhumkas. Her eyes study her own appearance in the mirror when something in her reaches for her drawer, taking out a single bindi. She had never worn one before, but now feels like the right time to start. Her finger presses the red dot onto the center of her forehead, her gaze shifting to the parting of her hair. Standing before the mirror adorned in traditional wear, she can't help but think of the only thing missing. A vermillion sari doesn't quite look complete to her without the presence of the sacred powder itself.

She shakes her head, wondering what had brought on a thought so potent. Ever since her childhood and youth, never had she been the kind of girl to daydream about her wedding or married life, thinking of it to be mawkishly sentimental. But now... everything is seemingly falling into place, as if the course of her life is treading towards this inevitable destination. The bare center parting of her hair now looks incomplete without being filled with vermillion.

---

Arnav leans against an ornate pillar, quietly observing the surroundings of everyone hustling to finish last minutes preparations before the wedding ceremony in the evening. Pulling the right cuff of his navy suit he checks the time, anticipating her arrival. He had had the chance to stop by her room but chose not to knock, realizing she must be busy getting ready. His eyes close momentarily, trying to picture how beautiful she must have looked when she read his note.

Just then a figure half his size bumps into him, startling Arnav.

"Vivaan, how many times have I told you not to run? Say sorry now," A reasonably annoyed woman follows suit, probably a few years older than Khushi, he notices.

"Sorry uncle," The little boy meekly says, the apology sounding like a lullaby.

Arnav smiles at him, kneeling down to match his height.

"Not a problem buddy," He assures, holding out his hand for a small high five.

"Hey look, we're matching Mamma!" Vivaan meets Arnav's hand before jumping up and down skittishly, pointing to both of their navy blue suits.

"Yes we are, and you look ten times more handsome!" Arnav says, watching as the boy of six beams with delight.

The woman laughs at the pleasant exchange of conversation between her little son and the kind stranger. "I'm sorry about that. He tends to run around a lot,"

"Oh, please don't be,"

"You don't look familiar at all. Are you from the groom's side?" She asks, studying his face to recall any memory of him.

He laughs at the question. "I'm Arnav. I'm actually Aashu's cousin," He extends his hand politely.

She shakes his hand, nodding in realization. "I see, it's good to see you here! I'm Payal, Aashna's friend."

Vivaan starts tugging on Payal's sari and she leaves with her son after excusing herself, while Arnav stands there thinking of why her name sounds so familiar.