Chapter 13: Illusive

Fourteen years later

"Mr. Raizada, we've handled all that is needed in place of your absence. I assure you that the company will run just as smoothly,"

He fixes his tie, adjusting the bluetooth to his ear while doing so.

"Good. I will be keeping contact with you and the team whenever possible during my absence. I don't know the situation about the internet connection there, so we'll see," He chuckles, a deep, gruff sound. The call is disconnected shortly after, the bluetooth placed inside the still open suitcase. He takes a look at himself in the mirror, something he barely gets the chance to do in the midst of a schedule so hectic. A reflection he fails to recognize greets him back. His hair is stiff with gel that keeps it intact in place, strands of grey peeking through the edges. His stubble looks thick enough to be mistaken for a beard, his eyes tired from countless late nights of work. His form is broader, manlier, and his stance, more confident. Despite the draining responsibilty that comes with being the CEO of a company, his features remain strikingly handsome with an air of personality.

And yet, something still rests the same within. He is still able to catch glimpses of a young man of 22 in himself, someone who still resides at his very core, someone he had tried to leave behind years ago, soon realizing he never wanted to in the first place.

"Arnav! Beta, we're going to be late!" His mother's voice cuts his thoughts short.

"Ma, we're running right on time. Don't worry," He smiles, putting on a navy blue jacket on top of a black waistcoat.

Some things never change.

"But still, we should leave early! Oh, I'm so excited! We're going to family after years, Arnav. The last time you went, you were this little," She raises her hand to her waist, indicating the smallness of his height.

He raises one eyebrow at his mother, closing the chains of his suitcase.

"I can't believe it's your cousin's wedding. How time flies," She continues, sighing.

He nods. "I know. I haven't seen Aashna in years... and now she's getting married," He says, recollecting the memory of playing with his cousin as little kids.

"Enough talking now, let's go!" Ratna glances for a millionth time at the clock, fixing their suitcases while her son looks on in amusement.

---

The initial sensation that hit him right when he took his first step outside after the never ending flight was inexplicable, and yet so naturally simple. It felt as if he was seven again, visiting his family, visiting his home country like they used to when his father was alive. He turns to his right, only to see a nostalgic, misty eyed smile plastered on his mother's face, and he can't help but smile himself. The sound of taxis and rickshaws, of Hindi being spoken in murmurs all around, everything felt like a big, warm hug, one that enveloped him like no other place did.

The moment of sentiment is cut short when a car almost bumps into a taxi that swerved without an indicator, crossing the road in haste. The man gets out of his white Mercedes, yelling local insults as the taxi driver shouts in matching rage.

"Now THIS feels like home!" Arnav exclaims, chuckling.

"You don't get to see a sight like this in California everyday now, do you?" Ratna shakes her head in quiet laughter.

"Excuse me, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada?"

Arnav turns around to a light tap on his shoulder to find a man dressed in former wear from head to toe, holding a sign that says his name.