Chapter 8: Oblivion

Beta, come have breakfast! And don't say no this time!"

The unmissable concern in his mother's voice brings a smile to his face as he walks down the stairs and enters the kitchen.

"Good morning, Ma,"

He watches his mother place a piping hot omelette on his plate, mumbling a 'good morning' in return before facing him.

"Arnav! These... bandages? What happened?! I didn't even know when you came home late last night and these cuts-" Her eyebrows furrow in confusion as she touches her son's face frantically.

"I just tripped and fell, nothing else," He holds her hand in reassurance, a tinge of guilt pinching him for having to lie to his mother. He decides he would rather do so however, than knowingly give her a reason to worry.

"This just proves that you're still that same Chote, just as clumsy as you were when you were little," She laughs nostalgically, stroking his hair lovingly.

"Ma, I told you not to call me that," Arnav rolls his eyes, slightly annoyed.

"Accha baba, okay. Eat now,"

He quietly starts eating, relishing each bite.

Whoever said it, said right. Food made by your mother's hands is truly the best.

"Why don't you dorm beta? It must be difficult for you to drive everyday to college..." She wonders, sitting next to him by the dining table.

"If I dorm, who will be home to bug you?" He grins, earning a soft slap from his mother.

"Paagal," Comes the mutter of a reply.

"There's only a month left of senior year anyway," He continues, before swallowing the last bite.

"Alright, now go. You'll be late for your classes,"

"Okay meri pyaari Ma, I'll leave you in peace," He stands up and places a kiss on her forehead, grabbing his backpack and car keys from the cabinet nearby.

"Bye beta." She waves and watches him close the door behind him, sighing.

Her eyes move to a lone frame sat on the top of the cherry wood cabinet, the picture fixated inside glinting in the faded daylight of the room. Her hand reaches up and brushes across the glass in a movement so instinctive, it surprises her.

This is how she had welcomed her every morning for the past four years.

---

The 9am class ended exactly 50 minutes later, and Arnav was greeted by an all too familiar voice.

"HEY BROTHER!"

"Geez NK," He mumbles, after jumping in surprise.

"Did I scare you?" NK laughs, holding his shoulders.

"Never mind that, how do you always know where I am?"

"What can I say man, it's a bhai to bhai connection!"

Arnav smirks at his reply, suddenly feeling thankful for having him as a friend for as long as he can remember.

The two walk to the courtyard, a place that has become a regular hangout spot over the past few weeks. The area is occupied by numerous groups of friends, some standing, some sat on the crisp, freshly trimmed grass while the mighty Coast Oaks sway with the spring breeze, providing a gentle shade. As they spot Lavanya and Khushi sat by a tree a few feet away, a smile spreads across both of their faces.

Arnav's smile, however, fades when Khushi looks away, her features devoid of expression. His lips part in bafflement, wondering the reasons behind her aloofness.