Chapter 20: Irrevocable

Haye. You look gorgeous, Aashna," A girl exclaims, sighing at her friend's adorned reflection in the mirror.

"Really. I've never seen a more beautiful bride," Another woman joins in, as the bride blushes slightly.

"It's true," Khushi affirms, holding Aashna's chin towards her, "Today is a special day Aashu, and I'm so happy for you,"

"Oh, Khushi. What would I do without you?" Aashna hugs her, the weight of her golden bangles clinking with sound.

She hugs her warmly, feeling emotional herself. "Come now, it's time."

The women fix the bride's dupatta for a last time before making their way outside where everyone awaits.

---

Arnav has been restless all day. Easing the knots in his knuckles, his mind surges with the memories of the past couple days, wanting to hold on to them with all his heart.

Khushi...

His lips silently take her name, remembering the way she makes him feel, the way she fits within his arms, the way everything seems right when they are together. The past had been cruel to them, and he had let go. But now... he isn't ready to commit the same mistake. He will fight for her if need be, because he can't ever afford to lose her this time. Not again.

He reaches into his pocket to confirm the presence of the little velvet box inside. His heart soars when he thinks of the moment he can finally kneel before her with a promise of a lifetime. But would she accept? Although he can sense her emotions, an inkling of doubt remains – they hadn't confessed their love yet.

And although she had given him a written declaration of her love for him which he has kept safe with him, he wonders if these fourteen years had changed anything. If the need for togetherness has dwindled. The thought breaks him, but he chooses to look past that and listen to his conscience for once, to his entirety that screams to make her his, in every possible way.

A commotion sounds towards the lawn, and he makes his way there from the garden. Families and guests gasp in fond wonder as his beloved cousin, the bride, walks towards the mandap where her soon to be husband sits. He watches in admiration, when his gaze shifts to the woman beside her. Khushi smiles as she holds Aashna and walks with her, looking nothing less than an elder sister. Arnav sighs heavily at the mere sight of her, dying to hold her in his arms again.

The pandit ji starts chanting the mantra, as Aashna and Kunaal sit smiling next to each other, adorned in traditional wear. The sparkling lawn is now filled with loved ones, all surrounding the couple as they witness the coming of togetherness.

"Hi,"

Arnav turns around in surprise, relaxing when he sees her too familiar, beaming face.

"Hi," He replies, holding her hand in his, away from everyone else's sight. Khushi's mehendi filled hands close around his warm fingers as he softly strokes her palm. She then points to a distance and his gaze follows, stopping at an elderly woman standing next to a man sitting on a wheelchair.

"My parents," She quietly whispers.

Arnav looks at them for long moments, his hand clasping hers closer. A wave of happiness flow through both as the two look back at each other again, reading what each other's eyes seem to say.

---

"Payal, I need to speak to you,"

"Dev? Can't it wait?" Payal replies, confused.