Chapter 11: Eventide

"I'm in love with you, Khushi."

Arnav stands before her, waiting for her to come running in his arms, to kiss him in joy, to say something. He watches her eyes light up for just a second before a facade of an unfamiliar emotion unfurls, confusing him. Instead of the million things he had thought she would do, she silently walks away in haste and gets in her car. Perplexed, he watches her drive away as he stands there, unable to register the reason behind her actions. The gust of the night remains bitter as his heart lay on his sleeve, shattered.

---

It had been the single most hardest thing Khushi had ever had to do in her life. To turn away when all she wished to do was the exact opposite – run into his arms, kiss his lips, tell him that she... loved him too, more than he'd ever know.

Instead, she put up an intentional guard, not allowing him to see the momentary glimmer of hope, forcing her feet away from him before it was too late.

His confession keeps ringing in her ears as she sits alone in her room in front of a blank laptop screen, his words louder and clearer which each painstaking moment. She shuts the screen with a slam, resting her head on her hands in a defeat to her aching heart.

She knows that if she chose to stand there and disclose the utmost truth of her love for him, he would do anything to keep her in his life.

And yet, she knows she did the right thing by walking away. In the span of a sleepless night, she had realized that she could not possibly get in the way of a son's promise. She cannot be the reason he strays, she cannot be the reason a dream stays unfulfilled.

And so, Khushi stepped away.

She envisions Arnav taking hold of his father's business here, his mother beaming with pride. She envisions herself in Delhi with her parents, buying them a house to grow old in, away from financial troubles.

She then envisions a certain coffee shop, evenings spent in endless conversations. Memories of starry nights spent in his embrace, of long drives through the highway, singing to their favorite music.

A tear escapes her eye and she wipes it away before it spills.

She picks up her phone, tapping on the number of the only person who brings a smile to her face no matter what, no matter when.

"Hello? Beta, it's 3 am in California right now. Are you alright? What happened?"

"I'm fine, Mamma. Just wanted to hear your voice. How are you guys?"

"We're good, Khushi, missing you as always. Actually, your timing couldn't have been better. Your Papa and I were about to call you and tell you ourselves, but we thought we should wait until it was morning over there-"

Khushi straightens in her chair, suddenly alarmed.

"What happened? What do you want to tell me?"

Her mother lets out a little laugh.

"Arre, nothing to be worried about. You're going to be an aunt!"

"WHAT?!" She yells, regretting it a moment later as she realizes the time.

"Yes! Payal called just a few minutes ago to let us know. She found out this morning!"

"Oh my god, this is great news. Jiji is preggers!!" A wide smile breaks through her tears as she visualizes a tiny baby in her elder sister's arms in about nine months.

"We couldn't wait to call you, beta. By the way, isn't your college ending soon?"

Khushi shrinks in her chair, the smile fading.