Chapter 10: Crossroads

Sunlight poured through the muted curtains of the room, reflections of the beams bouncing off of the stillness of the surroundings. She had been awake for a while now, unable to fall back asleep with countless thoughts running through her mind. During this time her gaze would often fall on his sleeping form, and when it did, the thoughts seemed to vanish without a trace, as if nothing else quite mattered as much as the peace that he brought to her heart. Her lips would form an outline of the faintest of smiles, blinking drowsily whenever he shifted closer to her in his sleep.

Khushi slowly sits up on the bed, checking the time on the wall clock before looking back at him. The sudden thought of waking up to this everyday crosses her mind, making her look forward to the possibility of that becoming a beautiful reality. Her hand reaches to gently push back the waves of his hair that somehow always fall on his forehead, her touch bringing him back from the depths of sleep. He blinks a few times, adjusting to the daylight in the room before his eyes land on her, an instant smile spreading across his face.

"Good morning," She says, the grogginess evident in her voice.

Arnav takes his time to answer, gazing at the length of her disheveled hair, the bright hazel of her eyes, the radiance she exudes despite having just woken up. He finds himself helplessly obsessed with her every imperfection, failing to see the flaws that she dislikes so much. Never in his wildest dreams had he thought that the first time he would be lying in bed with a girl, all they would have done is sleep, in the plain sense of the word.

And yet it felt right, and he felt complete.

"Morning. Did you sleep well?" He manages, letting out a small yawn.

Her heart feels full at the sight of his smile, remembering the palpable pain in his eyes from the night before. She wishes to erase the burden he's been carrying for so long, to take it all upon herself.

"Yes. And you?" She lies effortfully.

Little does he know, she had been awake for most of the night, soothing him with her touch, cooing words of reassurance in his ears whenever he jolted in his sleep from memories of the past, or perhaps a lingering nightmare.

Arnav hums a soft "Hmm," in response, edging close to her before pressing a tender kiss under her earlobe.

Her lips curve at his warmth, but before she can react, he startles her with his next words.

"Khushi, I want you to meet Ma. She comes back this evening,"

The sudden declaration leaves her stunned, a sense of joy and anticipation soon filling in.

"I'd love that, Arnav," She truly means so as she says this, feeling elated knowing he wants her to meet the most important person in his life, his mother.

Quite unknown to Khushi, it is because she too, has now become just as important to him.

---

Holding a bouquet of daisies, Khushi straightens the creases of her dress as Arnav rings the doorbell to his home. The evening wind is brisk, but they are soon welcomed by the warmth inside the house when his mother opens the door with the kindest smile, one that makes the corner of her eyes wrinkle with the shadow of the slightest crows feet.

"Khushi, this is my Ma, Ratna Raizada. Ma, this is... my friend Khushi," Arnav pauses briefly, partly at the lack of a better word, mainly out of hesitance.

How do you introduce the woman you love to the woman who's raised you?

"Namaste Ratna ji," Handing her the bouquet of flowers, she kneels to touch her feet in reverence.