VI. it's not a crime to cry

It was the 1st day of their summer break, July 20th of their final year in junior high

It was the 1st day of their summer break, July 20th of their final year in junior high. The heat beating down from the sun was extreme, so Itadori and Haruki made the wise choice of staying inside. Even if the boy wanted to go buy ice cream, it'd melt the moment it was in his hands.

Even if Haruki's room had air conditioning, the heat still managed to leak inside. Itadori fanned himself with his opened manga before his brain could turn into complete mush. He couldn't even properly read when all he thought about was cooling off.

"You moving around won't help at all," Haruki told Itadori as he shifted his position on her bed.

"I can't help it," he exhaled. "Are you sure it's blasting cool air right now? It sure doesn't feel like it."

"Maybe because you keep on moving around, no? And yes, I'm sure it's on full blast. Put your hand over the vent and feel it, if you want."

The boy did so, standing on top of her bed and reaching his hand over the small vent in the ceiling of her room. Itadori was met with the cool air coming from the vent. With a satisfied smile, he pushed his face a bit closer to the air.

Itadori looked down at Haruki, and she wiped the bead of sweat down the side of her head before returning his stare. He asked, "You sure you don't want to come up here?"

"Oh, I'm sure. I don't want to fall off my bed like you will."

"I'm gonna fall o- ouch!"

True to her word, Haruki's bed slid to the side and Itadori fell to the floor. It made sense, considering Itadori was pushing onto the ceiling to keep himself in place. The factor he forgot to think about was that Haruki's bed was in the middle of her room, and not against her wall. The force pushed her bed across the hardwood floor.

Itadori laid on the floor like a starfish while Haruki sighed, "You should be more careful, seriously. Break any bones?"

"None."

"That's good. Are you gonna stop moving around now?"

"Yeah."

"Also good."

Haruki scooted closer to him as she sat on her chair, and a wave of air hit Itadori's face. The girl was holding a small, portable face fan towards him. At the action, Itadori's lips formed a smile just like earlier.

"Why don't we share the fan?" the boy sat up. "Aren't you sweating too?"

"Thanks for thinking about me, but the heat is bearable enough. Plus, I don't really want to sit on the floor, even if it's clean."