Ch 5. Bizarre Encounter

"Ah! Jesus!" Gordon shouted as pieces of ceiling and foundation fell from above, a few chunks of rock and pipe hitting the scientist on the way down. You, still standing under some kind of cover, pulled the two closest scientists under the cover with you so they wouldn't get hit.

"Thanks corporal!" Coomer, who was one of the scientists you helped, thanked. The other scientist, Tommy, muttered a thank you before hesitantly stepping away from your grasp, still on edge about your presence. A few shouts from Bubby alerted everyone that he also got hit, but that was his fault for running ahead of the group.

"Do they know we're in here?" Gordon asked with his head tilted up as he examined the hole above. You also took in the situation and noted that it was a pretty good spot for an attack.

"I mean, they did see us run in here." You commented, remembering the very linear path you were traveling on. If your fellow soldiers were even remotely familiar with the area, they would know exactly where you would be heading.

"You've got a point. We should keep moving." Gordon agreed before turning his attention down below. Coomer and Tommy ran away from you, jumping into the mini pit like structure to join Bubby at the bottom. seeming unfazed by the giant fan at the bottom that could easily kill any of you if you slipped into it. You, not wanting to take your chances with the fan's blades, decided to use the nearby ladder, quickly sliding down the structure to meet the others.

"I'm gonna drop." You heard Gordon repeat to himself, looking up to see Gordon jumping off ledge with a short yelp before hitting the yellow and black striped bars just above the fan.

"Be careful, Gordon. It's quite a drop." Coomer warned a little too late after Gordon jumped off of the bars and landed next to Bubby.

"Yeah, yeah." Gordon repeated in an out of breathe tone while staring up at the older scientist, who was standing on the same bars. You fully made it to the bottom just as Tommy jumped down fully, hearing Gordon mutter something about a donation. You were about to question Gordon about the "donation" thing when Coomer shouted, "Here I come!" followed by a the sound of a cymbal crash. Your head spun around to find the source of the sound, seeing a trail of green orbs leading down into the fan.

"Dr. Coomer?" You called out, running to the edge of the fan and peering down to see the friendly scientist waving up at you.

"How- you slipped through the fan?" Gordon asked as Bubby proceeded to do the same thing, making it out just fine which made you rethink your previous worries.

"Tommy don't go- no. Stay up here. That is not the way, we literally have a path to go this way." Gordon said, running over to the hesitant scientist who was standing on the edge of the platform. Your eyes remained on the spinning fan. If the other two were fine then maybe you could-

"Hey the vents just connect!" Bubby's voice next to you caused you to jump, losing your balance for a second and sending you tumbling into the moving blades below. You quickly shut your eyes and tucked in your limbs, preparing for some kind of impact or worse case scenario getting sliced to death. Your arms flew around your head just in time for you to hit the metal floor with a loud clank that same sound from before that reminded you of a cymbal.

"Oops." You heard Bubby mutter, his voice showing no real remorse for the scare.

"Bubby!" Gordon voice suddenly scolded followed by an annoyed, "What?" You groaned and slowly pushed yourself up, opening your eyes and checking for any major injuries, sighing with relief when you realized you were perfectly fine.