Chapter - 3

Kelsey's POV

"I'm sorry, but I really gotta go. Bye."

And the line disconnects. Something is wrong. I can feel it. She picked up on the hundred and thirty fourth call. Her voice was off. It was just not right. I text Maddy. She is the only one who can probabaly do something.

*Hey, you know what's up with Dani*

*No, why?*

*I don't know? She has taken a leave for no reason and has apparently called all of the teachers asking what they will be covering instead of asking us. And she didn't even tell us about this leave. I called her like a hundred times today. She picked up on the 134th call. And then she cut it abruptly when I asked her about it. Something is wrong. She just didn't seem right, you know?*

*Oh*

*And the teachers don't even take her name in attendance*

*Yeah, that is odd. But I don't know what you should do*

*I'm gonna call the home room teacher. What was her name? Maybe she knows something*

*Yeah you could do that. Her name is Zaira Williams.*

*K. Cool. Ttyl.*

*Bye*

I look for 'Williams' in the school directory and dial the number. She picks up on the second ring.

"Hi, Zaira speaking."

"Hi Miss Williams. This is Kelsey. I'm in your home room. I wanted to talk to you about something. I hope this isn't a bad time."

"Hi Kelsey. Call me Zaira please. I'm free right now. Go ahead. What d'you wanna talk about?"

"Actually it's about Dani... Danielle I mean. She was in our home room last semester. She hasn't been attending classes. She's kinda my best friend but she isn't really taking my calls. I know that she is probably on leave with a good enough reason but I was wondering if you could tell me what exactly was written in the mail. I'm just worried about her."

I pause for a moment to catch my breath and when Zaira doesn't say anything I continue.

"I know that this is a lot to ask and it would be unprofessional of you to reveal the details of a mail but I'm seriously begging for it. I will..."

"Hey, relax. I'll tell you." Zaira cuts me.

I'm so thankful at this moment.

"But you might wanna sit."

Now I'm worried.

"Why? What happened?" I can't stop the words from falling from my mouth.

"Well, about Dani. She is... not on leave. I mean she is but not just any kind of temporary leave. She is on a permanent leave."

I'm silent for what feels like hours.

"What do you mean permanent leave?" I tried to sturdy myself but my voice came out shaky.

"I mean she has taken her transfer certificate and everything."

Warm tears are rolling down my cheeks and they don't seem to want to stop.

"I'm really sorry that I was the one to tell you about this. I think you should talk to Dani."

"I did and she told me that she was on leave." I'm crying harder than ever.

"Sweetheart, it's ok. It'll all be fine. Don't cry. I'm sure she had a good enough reason to keep this from you."

"Well, I'm sure she did." I'm angry now but I can't stop crying.

"Thank you Zaira. For telling me."