Chapter 15: Without Angels

Levi's POV

For the first time, I understand why people were afraid of nightmares. I've never had one in my entire life until now. We were in a field of irises; Hanji's favorite flower. She wasn't dancing around or anything. She was just... standing there. Around her was this beacon of light. Light followed her. It was like... she was the sun of this world.

With my feet becoming heavy, I could only drop to my knees only 2 meters away from her. Attempting to reach her with my hands, I felt them turn cold. How was that possible? If Hanji was the sun of this world, why doesn't she radiant heat? My arms turned icy cold as well as I began to freeze in place.

My eyes rapidly moving around when I saw claws of darkness reaching around my beloved angel.

No sound would escape my mouth. She was taken away. No screams. No pain. Where was she?

I woke up sweating. My eyes had to adjust to the dim room; only lit up by a few candles in every corner. In every corner except where I was slumbering. My hands were tied to something metal, which was attached to the stone walls. This... 

Rattling the iron chains, I've realized I was stuck to this wall. My hands turned cold because it was hung over my head for far too long. I didn't want to beg for help. But I did beg for Hanji.

Crying her name and calling for her only forced my throat to run dry. After what seemed like hours, I stopped my painful howls for her. My stomach clawed for food as my throat was healing from the scars I've caused. I've never cried for anyone except now. A single drop of my tear slipped down my face. Would I ever see her again?

*   *   *

Hours later, I was awoken by someone moving my arms. My eyes popped open, and I saw Farlan taking the chains off the wall. Yet I was still tied down by a large iron ball. "Farlan-."

"You shouldn't have killed people, Levi." He scowls at me. "All for Hanji? I've seen how you acted around her. Why couldn't you kill people? She was into you, you know. You ruined it."

"Where... is she...?"

After giving a cup of water to me, Farlan finally revealed where she was. "She's gone. She left. Only the higher-ups knew where she went, Levi. She's still working for the Survey Corps- just in secret. With all honesty, I believe she was scared of you. Word went around that you attacked her-."

"I did not attack her! Not her!" I rattled the chains as I spoke the truth. "I attacked Erwin. He took her away from me. He deserved-."

"No, no he doesn't, Levi. Why does he deserve such pain? Why? You don't need to kill someone to get something you want. It's fine if you run into failure sometimes. That's part of life. Haven't we seen enough murder, Levi? Huh?"

"I can't live without her... is she safe?"

"Levi, I don't think you know what I was talking about. No one knows where she is, except the higher-ups. Don't you get it? I will never know the answer. Nor would you get the answer. You would need to get to the section commanders or the commander about her whereabouts. I'm sorry, Levi... but I don't know if she's safe."

"She... she has to... I can't live without her."

"You can, Levi."

"Is it the curse?"

"Maybe." Farlan sighed, leaving a tray of cold stew and stale bread. "Levi, you need to eat. You're lucky they haven't tossed you outside of the walls for your crimes. Well, since you were out on one expedition, you might know the entire plans. So they would hang you. I rather you live."

"How... can I live...?"

Farlan looked at me with weary eyes, "It's just a rumor from the women, but... people think she retired, but still wants to work. Hence why her whereabouts are classified. But... some say how she's acting mimicks people when they're pregnant. It's just rumored, but I doubt she is. I would think she's just scared."

"I want... to apologize to her..."

"So you can see her again? Levi, they're not going to allow you to see her, you know. You have to live without her in your life, you know."

Back and forth. Repeatedly. What will I do without a world with my angel?