Chapter 11: Betrayed

The party went on for another two hours and the guests soon began to leave. Lilia found the opportunity to approach Julius and confess her feelings.

"Uhm, Julius, can I please speak with you for a minute?", Lilia shyly asked.

"Yeah, sure. What do want to talk about?", Julius replied as he wiped the icing off the side of his lip.

"Could we go to a place a little more...private? It's kind of an important  topic.", Lilia requested.

The two went to the kitchen to have their conversation. 

"I have something I need to tell you. It's been bothering me for weeks.", Lilia said as she played with her fingers.

"What is it? What's wrong?", Julius worried asked.

He squeezed her shouders and said, "Look, you can trust me. Tell me what's wrong?"

Lilia's face grew bright red. Meanwhile, Aoi and Hannah were turning the living room upside down.

"Can't you remember where you put it? Why on earth did you take it in the first place?", Aoi irritatedly asked.

"I can't remember! I'm really sorry 'couz. I was just sneaking a peak at it. You know...I was trying to find something juicy.", Hannah replied.

"What do you mean something juicy?! Hannah, you know everything about me. That's why it's pointless for you to read my diary. ", Aoi said.

"Which is why I got bored with it and left it on the counter....the counter. I must have left it in the kitchen when we were making the cake!" Hannah said.

"You take down the party decorations, I'll get the diary.", Aoi instructed.

She was about to open the door when she caught a glimpse of Julius and Lilia. Aoi knew that it was wrong to eavesdrop but how can she not? Who knows what trick Lilia has up her sleeve.

"I like you!", Lilia blurted out. "I'm sorry...I...I didn't mean to shout it out like that. I-"

"Wait.", Julius said. "Could you say that again?"

"Julius, I...Ilike you, ok?", Lilia confirmed. 

Julius cracked a smile and his cheeks truned pink.

"Uhh...Lilia, the truth is...I actually...like you too." Julius said as he scratched his head.

Aoi gripped her shirt as she was trying to hold back the mixture of emotions that were piling up on her chest.

After uttering those words, there was 15 seconds of pure silence. 

The both of them suddenly  laughed at the awkward atmosphere they've created. Their conversation went on and on until they talked about their plans after graduation.

"...so basically, I'm planning to study at a state college near this place so that I could keep a close eye on Aoi. She's hopeless without me!", Julius chuckled.

"What abour your dream of becoming an architect? I've seen your sketches and you're good. Why not make that dream a reality. You know, I could help you with that, if you'd like.", Lilia offered.

"I don't know...If I did that... then I'd have to leave this place. Aoi would probably be lonely. Her mother entrusted her to me before she left to work overseas. We kind had this pact that we'd be together for life. I'm not sure if I could leave her.", Julius replied hesistantly.

Lilia gave a sarcastic chuckle and said, "Oh please, Julius, it's not like you guys are still kids. Friends are bound to drift apart over time in order to make room for new and better ones. Besides, I don't think Aoi will be lonely. She's got Hannah and her mom. She's old now, do you think she still likes to be treated like a little kid?

You have to chase your dream, Julius. Aoi will just be a burden. She'll just be holding you back. You know that you guys will eventually have your own lives and walk your separate paths. Did you honestly think that Aoi and you will be friends forever? You have to face reality."

"I...I guess you're right I'll think about it."

Hearing those words escape from Julius' mouth made Aoi's heart sink. She turned pale. She was heartbroken.

"Don't worry, I'll speak with Daddy. He'll help us. I know this amazing college in London. You could study there with me. If it's the expense you're worried about, they offer scholarships and student discounts. I could also help with your tuition.", Lili assured him.

Julius replied, "Woah! I can't have you paying for my education. It wouldn't be right. I don't want to take advantage of you. I couldn't possibly let you do that."

Lilia wrapped her arms round Julius' neck and said, "Nonsense! It's only normal for couples to help each other out. We are dating, aren't we?"

Aoi snapped. She couldn't stay silent after what she just heard. 

"Of course we are. Anyway, thank you. You can't belive ho happy I am right now. I can't belive that the girl of my dreams likes me back. I promise that I'll make this relationship work.  We'll be together forever!", Julius said as he kissed Lilia on the forehead. 

Their perfect moment was interrupted by the door slamming. It was Aoi, her eyes were red from crying.

"We'll be together forever....some promise!", Aoi sneered.

"Aoi, how long have you been behind the door? What the heck?! You have zero respect for other people's privacy.", Lilia asked.

Julius was taken aback. He didn't know what to say to her. "Aoi...I-"

"I heard everything. I hate you, Julius!", Aoi shouted as she bursted into tears.

"Aoi, calm down...let me explain." Julus said as he tried to hold Aoi.

"Don't touch me!!!", Aoi pushed him away.  "You betrayed me. You said we'd be together until the end of time. I know it's childish, but it's important to me! I...I hate you! You're just like the others...I should have known. You'll just end up leaving me...just like my mom....I don't need you! I don't need anybody!!"

"What do you mean? What happened to your mom?", Julius asked as he held her arm.

Aoi broke from his grasp and ran away. She bolted past Hannah and made her way to the door. Without wasting a single second, Julius ran after her. 

How could he have done such a thing? How could he betray her?