Chapter 22: Deceived

Chapter 22

Jace

It has now been a day after I told Lori how I felt. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t even want to get out of bed but even she still had some sort of hold on me. For the whole time she was in the hospital, I’ve been running, each new day a few miles longer than before. She has sort of gotten me to enjoy running.

But now? I don’t want to get out. It’s painful knowing that she doesn’t love me back. But then again, what did I expect? She probably loves Drew anyways. To get out of bed every morning just doesn’t seem worth it.

But I promised myself that even I would accept her as only a friend. Because that is more than enough.

With that thought, I got up from my bed and walked over to my dresser. I slipped on my running shorts and a muscle shirt.

I put my shoes one and placed my iPod in my hand and I left my house. It was a fresh morning. It was still winter but nearing towards spring time. I warmed up in the same way Lori and I had always done. Just seemed like my new routine.

I created a nice steady pace that I considered fast. It was still dark, due to the time change, so it was a bit hard to see. But I knew this path like the back of my hand so I didn’t have much to worry about.

The only sound I heard was my music, the crunching of my feet against the ground and another set of feet running with me. This runner seemed to be a bit close to me. So I took my earphones off and I put myself on high alert.

I kept my eyes ahead but my ears were listening to the mystery person by me. I was going to turn the corner when I was pushed to the floor. I broke my fall by having my hands out in front of me. All I suffered were scratches on my hand. At least that’s what I suffered in that moment.

This mystery person punched me in the face hard enough to knock me. And all I saw was a black hoodie figure, crouching over me.

…………………………………………………

My head lolled to the side abruptly, making me snap my eyes open. My vision was a bit slow and spotty, but I managed to get my focus back. When it did come back, I took in my surroundings.

I was in a large, lonely room. A mattress was to the far corner, away from me. The room had walls with the wallpaper scratching off and the only window in here was broken. I looked up to see yellow stains on the ceiling, from the rain it seems.

“Ah, so you’re finally awake.” A voice rang from behind me.

I turned my head around so that I could see Jared standing casually by the door.

“Mind explaining why you punched me and strapped me to a chair?!” I shouted.

“Oh quite easy, Jace.” He said as he came forward.

“You see, I had a video. And this video, proved well to be useful. That is until I noticed it was gone.” He said in a bored tone.

“And what makes you think I did it?” I asked, surprised.

“Well, I’m not accusing you. In simple terms, that video was useful in blackmail for Drew. You know him right?” He paused to look at me. I continued to give him a glare.

“Well anyways, in this deal, he had to break Lori’s heart but he can’t do anything when there’s no video to motivate him. So, now, I plan on kidnapping you and all her loved ones. Best part? I take her last and she watches each and every one of your deaths.” He smirked.

“What the hell is wrong with you!? Lori doesn’t deserve this!” I shouted. What the hell? Why does he hate her so much?

“Yes she does. She deserves it all.” He chuckled while walked away. A few minutes later, he came back into the room with a passed out blond and another chair.