Chapter 8: All for the Better?

Chapter 8

Drew

Fear pulsed through my veins as I grabbed Sarah closer to me when Lori told us to run. I stood there looking at her as if she were crazy. Only my standing was short lived because she told me to run again.

It was only until she reached me that I picked up Sarah and had her hang on to me tightly. I started to run not knowing from what.

"Why are we running?!" Sarah shouted in my ear.

"I don't know! Lori!" I asked her from behind, I noticed she could run far better than I.

"We need to find a safe place!" She shouted back.

From behind me I heard a gun shot. My eyes widen and I picked up my pace, only to get tired quicker.

"Here, give her to me." Lori said as she slowed down to my pace, not tired in the least.

"Sarah, I'm going to hand you to Lori okay? She will take care of you for now." I told Sarah. She held on tighter but then nodded. I passed her to Lori. Sarah didn't seem to slow her down as she kept on running.

"There's an alley coming up to your right! Slip in there!" I yelled at her. We've been running a bit longer now, all I know is that we passed two blocks.

She made a sharp turn, still holding on to Sarah and made her way in to the fresh, damp alley. We stopped as we stayed close to the dark part of the alley so that if they passed, they wouldn't see us.

"Run! Run! The cops are coming in close!" Said a guy who appeared to be close. Soon enough, two other men ran away, passing our hiding spot.

When they left, Sarah disentangled herself from Lori and thrust herself upon me, crying. I caught her and stroked her hair, calming her down. Lori had caught her breath quickly while I on the other hand had taken a longer time getting my breath back.

"Shh shh. It's going to be alright. Okay?" I told Sarah.

I notice Lori was looking at me with a warm expression not sure what of. I looked back and gave her a hard look which made her turn away in guilt.

When Sarah calmed down I turned to a trembling Lori who had her head between her hands.

"The hell was that Lori?" I asked making her head snap up and look at me.

She took a while before answering me, obviously ashamed of the reason.

"I saw them kill someone. As they did, I made a noise and they saw me. They chased after me, yelling that I saw too much and that I had to be killed. I ran away on impulse and that's when I saw you. I'm so sorry that I had to drag you two into this." She looked down and wrapped her face with her hands.

"I would have walked you home and none of this would have happened." I sneered.

"How was I supposed to know?! I was just passing by accidentally!" She snapped.

"Whatever. We just need to find our way back." I said.

"Which would be where? We're deeper into a sketchy place!" Lori shouted.

"We have what, four hours till sundown?" I asked. She took out her phone and announced the time.

"It's almost three." She said biting her lip.

"Three?!" I asked.

"Yeah. Look let's find a more suitable place for her." Lori said, pointing to Sarah.

As we got out of our hiding spot, we began to walk around. I didn't really recognize this place.

"Drew I'm cold." Sarah states. By now it has gotten a bit nippy but I didn't feel it.