Lonely Heart

Coming back home was different this time than the other times, I came back by myself and I had no contracts line to be signed to be the picture perfect girlfriend for a week. What I didn't expect was the tabloids at the airport, luckily my dad was waiting for my arrival which my made easier to navigate through them. Each question asked regarding my relationship with David was like a hot dagger to my heart, the contract had ended and there was nothing more to say.

The drive from the airport back home was comfortably silent, my dad didn't say any thing but he knew what his daughter to herself involved in, he didn't approve completely but she refused to live on the money she had inherited from her grandmother and mother. All he knew was that she was never long enough in the so called relationships for any one to develop any feelings for each other except with David every thing happened and more. They had violated their contract agreement in every way, she could still remember his soft lips against hers on the first day of the start of the contract. She smirked coyly.

When the world found out that the socialite Kate was back in the market, it was like she never left. She had decided to take two contracts two months after returning from Russia, she had also started her own dating app which would make it easier every one around the would to meet their match irrespective of they night be a real mythical creature that actually exist. Within the coming the months she'll be the riches woman in Africa thanks to her grandmother, mother and her gamble at life. She hasn't even looked at accounts but she she it with the email from a magazine wanting to interview her plus an email from her bank needing to come in for a discussion but she wasn't in the mood to see any one.

She finally did and now she will decide who will or will not get her as the picture perfect girlfriend, she should be celebrating with her friends but why did she feel lonely. She watched the happy faces on the beach and realized that she was the only one not smiling, she loves the beach so why was she feeling lonely. The afternoon Summer sun beat furiously down the beach goers on the private beach. She knew she looked ten times more darker from sitting for to long in the sun. Cape Town was always her go to place beside Plettenberg to locally cheer herself up on the beach but it was working, on the other hand the alcohol on the beach was working wonders. She was in and out of sleep in the sun until her friends woke her up for an early dinner before hitting the clubs. I was sure of it that I was unbelievably drunk and probably awfully sunburned but at the moment I didn't care, the numb feeling in her heart was now becoming an ache.

"Kate we think we should order in, you aren't in a state to be seen like this. We can go out tomorrow night."

Sam being the sensible friend was the first to voice her concern, I must've said something but I didn't remember. Something I have done lately, my actions have been rather weird but who cared. I refused to have any confessions regarding David, any articles, pictures or news on TV related to him I had avoided. It was best this way.

"Did hear me Kate, we cancelled our reservations and we will be eating in today. The hotel will bring our food."

"That's fine Sam, but I think you all should go I'll stay in and pass out while watching reruns of something."

That sounded like a great idea I thought to myself and tried to focus on not slipping on the marble floors in the hotel. The more I tried not thinking about him, my heart ached for him. Maybe a shower will fix me up.

The headache and the heat in the room were nauseating, I shouldn't have had so many cocktails yesterday. My body ached for being in the sun for to long and now I was regretting the choices I made the day before but at that time it seemed like a good idea. A cold shower will help, I hoped this vacation would help but no changes yet.

Weeks became months and months became a year but I was still felt lonely. When I finally decided to pick myself up from feeling pity for myself, I stopped working in the market but the dating app was one of the best in the world. Swiping through my phone a notification came through, I checked the notification and I was mortified at what I saw. The numbers had to be wrong, who could've sent me such a large amount of money? I ringed for my PA.

"Lerato can you please call the bank and make an appointment plus get my financial advisor to come to the office within the hour."

"You already have a meeting tomorrow at the bank but I'll call Jason to come see you."

"Great, cancel all my meetings too."

"The investor's meeting is today. At three wouldn't it be best to have it today?"

"Fuck, I forgot about them. Okay that's fine. Leave the meeting with them."

Once Lerato left the office I tried to trace the payment from the bank statements on my computer with out any success that was a lot of money that got deposited in to my account but with out any reference, it made it things harder to know who did it but I hoped Jason will be able to assist when he got here. This was going to be a long day.

"Kate whoever sent the money doesn't want to known, it looks it was done with a private bank. Do you know any one who banks privately?"

Jason finally looked up from his laptop, his face grim with stress from trying to figure out who would've deposited the money. I rubbed my temples and just half hearteningly listened to Jason speaking about the possibilities, I thanked him for coming in as we closed up our meeting.

By the time the day was over, I was exhausted but dreaded going back home to a quiet house. Things that made me happy didn't any more, I kept myself busy to avoid feeling the ache in my chest that I thought would've healed by now but with each passing day, weeks and months the ache has became worse. I avoided any gossip, news or the paparazzi at an event I get invited to. After a year from my return, they stopped following me around once they realized there wasn't a story to be told. My friends stopped checking up on me from a lack of interest on my part and my dad was beyond concerned about my wellbeing. Everything was not the same anymore and nothing seemed to cheer me up the way it used to. Maybe it would be different tomorrow.