A Long Way Away

JOSEPHINE

I've never felt so full. Well, from what I can remember I've never felt this full. The combination of recently being fed and being in the car sent Willow off to sleep when we were about halfway home. As I turn my head to view the streets, I watch the gradual change of the architecture as we approach the city and eventually, Mayfair. Hero parks us up in the same spot he left from a few hours ago. This time though, I open the door myself and push myself up to stand. It's surprising how easier movement, in general, has been since I had my stitches removed, although I know Hero is still being careful around me. I can just tell.

As he opens the front door for us to step into, he walks past me and carefully lifts Willow in her car seat onto the island in the kitchen area. She's still fast asleep.

"I'm going to put her in the crib in our room," I nod, watching him walk to the bedroom. He just called it our room. I know it is our room deep down, but we've only shared one night together since everything. But it was the best night's sleep I've had since I came home. While Hero is sorting Willow out, I head to the couch and let myself drop down in the corner, stretching my legs out in front of me, my hands holding my full belly. I've never been so full.

Hero walks out of our room, his jeans now swapped for grey joggers and the polo shirt has been changed for a simple white T-shirt.

"I think she'll be out for a while. Do you want to go and get changed? You won't disturb her, believe me," I already know I won't disturb Willow, she's such a heavy sleeper. I'm not even sure what could possibly wake her. Pushing myself up to stand, I nod, heading to our room. Even though she's a heavy sleeper and well away, I still stay as quiet as possible while changing into something more comfortable. I can't find a top of mine, but I spot a black one of Hero's on his side of the room, neatly folded on top of the drawers. I don't think he'll mind. Slipping it over my head, I quickly realise that's it's too big but completely comfy. I'm enveloped in his scent. The citrus and bergamot evenly coming through. I place a soft kiss on Willow's head before closing the door over, Hero having already brought the baby monitor into the living room.

As time passes, we settle together on the couch, my legs stretched out in front of me. Hero noticed the T-shirt as soon as I walked out of our bedroom.

"You've not worn that for a while, love," he explains further that this is the shirt he'd usually find me sleeping in or chilling out in. Apparently my pregnant belly stretched it but he couldn't bring himself to get rid of it. He said it reminded him of me being pregnant, I hope I can remember that too, one day. I've always wondered what it would feel like to have a baby in my belly, moving around. I'm hoping with the memories - if they do come back, that is - I remember the feelings that went with them.

My mind casts back to the photos at Martha's. The pictures of Hero's family, how the ones including his Dad just cut off in the middle of the collage going up the stairs.

"Hero?" His eyes move to mine as he places down his cup of tea.

"Yes, love?" I'm pretty sure I already know the outcome of the story here, but maybe, just maybe I'm assuming the worst. I gesture for him to come closer, which he does. He puts his arm around my shoulder and leans into my side. I don't know how to put this across to him, I want to know, but equally, from the way his eyes changed and the fond smile that crossed his face when we were stood on the stairs before, I think I already know what he's going to tell me. I just hope I'm wrong.

"Tell me about your Dad?" The same smile from before covers his face. His tongue sneaks out and wets his bottom lip before sliding back in.

"Dad was... amazing. And he loved you, Jo," I can feel him wavering against me, his voice uneven. Taking his hand, I squeeze reassuringly.