Loss

"Sasuke!!" Sakura's heart pounded in her young chest. "Please... don't do this, it isn't right! You can become strong here! I can support you, Naruto and I!! Please!! I'm begging you, Sasuke don't leave us.. don't leave me... I'll do anything.." Sasuke stood before her, unable to move or speak for a time. Her quivering arms wrapped around his chest and he could feel her heartbeat against his back.
"I'm sorry I'm so weak and pathetic... I promise, I'll get stronger! I can help you with your revenge! Im going to train as a medical nin, please!! I— I love you, Sasuke! I don't want to be apart from you, I don't want to watch you go down this path alone..." Her legs gave out beneath her after he knocked her out, quickly catching her in his arms. Fresh tears spilled down her cheeks, but they weren't hers.
"Why don't you let me go?" His heart felt heavy as he lay her gently on the bench. "Please, forget about me." In truth, he didn't want her to forget, he didn't want her to be with someone else, but he couldn't dwell on those feelings.

"Sasuke!"
"Kakashi Sensei?!" Sasuke quickly wiped the tears from his eyes and faced his teacher and father at the gates of the village.
"Sasuke, have you seen Mihoko?! I've been all over the village, Naruto and I, she isn't in the here." Sasuke had never seen Kakashi's eyes so filled with fear. Something stirred within his heart.
"I'll help." Not again... why did it feel the same? The loss of his mother and Mihoko... Mihoko...
        "mother..." How had he himself not understood... his heart pounding in his chest was a reminder... revenge... it could wait if it meant the people he loved that still lived could be protected. All this time his sole reason for being had been revenge, but his mind suddenly flooded with a pain and regret he had suppressed since that night...why wasn't I strong enough? Why wasn't I fast enough? Why wasn't I enough? He trembled at the memories to this day, he couldn't let it happen again.

"Kakashi!!" Naruto's eyes were filled with tears as he stumbled toward him. In his hands, he clutched tightly Mihoko's leaf headband.
"I couldn't find her!!" His sobs broke Kakashi's heart, and the fear of losing her sank deeper into his heart as he embraced Naruto.
"We found it near the waterfall in the forest..." Sasuke's sharingan eyes were bloodshot with rage. "It was where Itachi would go to train... It was him.. I know it was him..." His clenched fists shook as tears pooled in his eyes.
Kakashi reached over and dragged Sasuke into his embrace with Naruto, and held them both as they cried. Hiding his own tears as he remembered that morning when she had made them all a beautiful breakfast and kissed them all on the cheek before they left. How her gentle hands had held his own just that morning when her lips captured his so sweetly. Did she know?
"I'm going to find her. For now, you boys rest, it's been a long night." Sasuke broke away first.
"There's something I have to do first."
"Sasuke.." Kakashi lifted Naruto into his arms with wary eyes on Sasuke.
"I won't go off alone, I'm not ready to face them." He left without another word.

"Sakura. Sakuuura." He poked her cheek. "Sorry." He sighed and lifted her into his arms and carried her home.