Sacrifice

"Mihoko, are you alright?" Kakashi woke to find his wife standing at the window, her weary face illuminated by the moonlight.
"Kakashi, I'm worried about Sasuke. His hatred is becoming so harsh, his eyes... they seem, dark. The sweet little boy I know is disappearing, and now Sasuke facing Itachi for the first time since his betrayal? My poor baby." Tears fell freely down her cheeks as she cupped her mouth to muffle her sobs. Kakashi hurried toward her to wrap her in his arms.
"Whatever happens, we'll do all we can to protect him. I'll always be here, you're not alone." Mihoko held him closer, her tears falling silently onto his shoulder. A terrible thought caused her heart to ache in his arms... a terrible wicked thought.

Two Days Later

"Kakashi, good morning~" Mihoko wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him sweetly.
"Mmmh, good morning." He smiled faintly, scooting closer to her. Her hands toyed with his hair while his hand ran up and down her bare hip and waist. Her skin so soft to the touch, and still warm after the night before.
"Kakashi." She kissed him deeper, feeling herself against him as his hands gripped her hips more forcefully. Her heart ached, but she wanted to taste him, touch him, love him, just incase it was the last time.
"I love you, Kakashi, more than I could ever hope to compose into words." She fought back tears as she looked into his eyes.
"I love you too, my dearest." He kissed her nose then kissed her hard on the lips, her fears melting at his warmth. Even if this is the last, it will be a memory that saves her from any despair. Let this moment forever be etched into her heart.

~

        It was crazy, but Mihoko somehow knew what she had to do, at least, what she felt was right at the time. Though it would cost her greatly.
        She entered the forest, following the old paths she had once followed all those years ago.
        "He hasn't changed..." Mihoko stood at the cliff side, reverently watching the waterfall like fire under the evening sun. "Itachi." A feeling of hatred filled her heart, making it pound painfully in her chest. It merged with the guilt she held for the people she had loved and was unable to protect. All these emotions bled together as she looked into his eyes.
        "Mihoko, why have you come here?" His voice was still so gentle, and his eyes full of pain.
        "Uchiha Itachi." She knelt down before him, "I've come to offer myself in place of Naruto, and to ask you to never reveal yourself to Sasuke again." She never trusted the leaf village, not after the Nine Tails, something always felt wrong or incomplete. And somehow, she could feel nothing but pity when she looked into those deep red eyes.
        "You and Naruto are both Uzumaki, but that is not why we want him. You're useless to us." With her eyes to the ground, he allowed his own to reveal his own pity towards her.
        "You and I have an understanding, as one of the last remaining of our once great clans. Go, live your life. I know Kakashi would not condone your self sacrifice." Her ears twitched at Kakashi's name, had Itachi been watching them for some time?
        "Itachi, seems you've found us quite the catch, an Uzumaki, hm? I'm sure she'd be compatible." A man with a face like a fish, grabbed Mihoko's long scarlet hair and held her up to get a better look.
        "We don't need her, let's leave." Itachi seemed to give the man a chilling gaze.
        "Oh? Someone you know? She's still quite young, and beautiful. Look at this hair of hers! Like fire!" He laughed.
        "Kisame, let's leave." Itachi turned his back to go, but Kisame didn't let go.
        "Pain wants the Jinchuriki, I'm sure a pureblooded female Uzumaki would be a great asset, with their sealing abilities and chakra. I'm sure you know many old Uzumaki clan secrets as well, hm, red?" He laughed, "She's coming with us."
        "Only on one condition." Mihoko stood and looked him in the eyes. "You leave Naruto and Sasuke out of your plans."
        "I like your fire, but we'll still need the Nine Tails in the future." He struck her neck before she could retaliate, her vision blurring before going black.
        "Bas.. tard..." Mihoko's faint words were carried away by the wind as she fell into his arms.