1. Just A Cough

Kokichi's POV

"Nishishi~! What a WAY to go... eaten alive by FISH of all things!" I yelled out as the water was completely turned pink. It was amusing, really. I gotta say, I truly did feel bad for the guy. He didn't go out with as much of a bang as he probably thought he would. I'm not afraid to admit I would be disappointed if I died that way.

"Kokichi! Did you do this? Did you kill Ryoma? You must have, especially with that reaction!" Kaito, Ultimate Astronaut, accused. Ugh, that idiot. He really had no idea how enraging it was to hear the things he blurted out. Not that I cared.

"Huh? Why me?" I whined, putting on a doll face. I found doing that was a pretty easy way to get rid of blame. "Don't tell me you hate my guts that much? Aww... you do. I am now going to cry. Loudly." With a small giggle, a let out an ear-piercing shriek that definitely caught the attention of everybody else in the gym.

"WAAAAAAAAA!!! Kaito *sniff* suspects me? How could you betray my trust like this? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

"Oh shut up you useless piece of shit. We all know you're a little liar who nobody could ever trust, much less like." Maki, Ultimate 'Babysitter', snapped. I knew she wasn't the Ultimate Babysitter. How? I broke into her lab! Nishishi, and she though she could hide. Eh, I'll reveal that enticing piece of info pretty soon.

"Eh whatever. OOH! Somebody throw Kee-Boy at the glass. We should break it to inspect the crime scene!" Not like it mattered to me. I just wanted the negative attention away from myself. Turns out I have emotions. What a shocker. And the diversion seemed to work.

The others murmured amongst themselves, considering my idea, then decided to opt for it. How kind of them! Next thing I knew, Ki-bo was laying in a heap of metal, glass shards, and pink-ish water. Gross! Ryoma's bones were piled up right in front of the broken glass tank, all the limbs out of place. Double gross!

After the initial shock of it all, people started gathering around to find evidence. I couldn't be too bothered. I might end up searching, but who knows! I sat myself down on the stairs leading to the stage and daydreamed. Ah, Saihara-chan... so cute!

Yes. I know. Me, Kokichi Ouma, Ultimate Supreme Leader, was the crazy bitch who fell for Shuichi Saihara. Funny, right? I knew I didn't have a chance though. Who would want to date me? As Maki said, I'm a useless piece of shit. It's pretty easy to pretend the insults don't sting a little, but they do kinda hurt. But enough with this sentimental crap! I was thirsty, so I stood up to go to the kitchen. Mmmmm... Panta time! But as I started walking towards the door, I turned around and looked at my beloved Shumai. He looked so focused, his sparkling, golden eyes darting around to assess the case, his dark blue hair falling perfectly to compliment his gorgeous features. I couldn't get enough. I cleared my throat quietly. I must be really thirsty. I inhaled, but my breath caught in my throat.

Shuichi's POV

Kokichi started coughing. The room grew silent as the other Ultimates, who were investigating the murder, turned their attention to the smaller teen. He stopped his hacking, only to say "I'll be back in a sec" before abruptly turning and speed walking out the door with his hand over his mouth. Two small, dark blue petals were left in his wake. I immediately knew something was wrong. I stood up quickly, only to be stopped.

"What are you doing, going after that brat?" Maki spat, probably at the mere thought of Kokichi.

"Uh, I just wanted to make sure he was gonna be okay, ahm, cause I don't think it was just a normal cough..." My detective brain started whirring. Petals and coughing. I'm pretty sure nobody else noticed the petals though. Hanahaki? That was a possibility. But Kokichi Ouma, falling in love? I doubted it, and even if he truly did, it wouldn't be with me... so yeah, why should I care? But the simp that had taken over my brain decided otherwise.

"Ah, I'll be right back Maki." I turned on my heel and left the gym before she could protest any further. Now I just had to find Kokichi. But the problem was, where did he even go? I sighed, rubbing my head. I decided to check the bathrooms first, since that was my best guess. As I set down the hallway, I spotted more tiny petals dotting the floor. And blood. I shuddered, as being in this hellhole made any sight of blood seem horrific. But it comfirmed my suspicions that Kokichi had Hanahaki. I frowned as I walked. Kokichi was in love, and it wasn't with me. Of course he wasn't, and why would he? There are many better people out there for him. But as long as he was happy, I didn't really mind. My only wish for him was to be happy with somebody, and it's alright that it isn't me. Before I knew it, I had reached the boys bathroom. A opened the door and silently slipped inside.

I winced as I heard coughing and retching sounds coming from the far stall. My heart broke. I had really hoped he would be alright, given that Hanahaki takes a while to get bad, but it seems I had wished for too much, As I quietly approached the stall, I spotted a large pile of dark blue petals on the floor. I must have made some sort of noise, because the coughing stopped momentarily for a scratchy "Who's there?" to be uttered from the stall.

"Just me. Don't worry, I won't tell anybody that you have Hanahaki, if that's what you were worried about. I promise."

"Promise?"

"Of course!"

"Fine... but to anybody else, this is just a cough!" The door opened to see a drooping Kokichi sitting on the toilet seat, a pile of tiny, dark blue sunflower petals and pink blood splattered on the floor.

"Kokichi..." I muttered. This was a really sad sight. "Before we get this all cleaned up, who is it?"

"Who is *cough* what?"

"Who is the person you fell in love with? It's pretty obvious that you have Hanahaki, but if you don't want to tell me now it's alright!"

Kokichi looked at his feet, dare I say, embarrassed? That was a new one. He shook his head, seemingly dejected.

"Hey, it's alright. You sit and stay put while I clean all this up, okay?" I murmured softly.

Kokichi looked up at me, his eyes brimming with defiance.

"Remember, to anybody else, this is JUST A COUGH! Got that?"

I chuckled, just happy that Kokichi could still keep his bright personality though this whole thing. I found some plastic gloves, soap, and a broom from the closet and started cleaning.

(Word count: 1176)

Aaaaaand that was the first chapter everybody! Whooo!! I tried making it longer, but I really didn't feel like it. It's a pretty ok start for my first fic! Please leave any and all criticism here so I know how to improve my writing. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed chapter 1! (PSA. I have absolutely no idea where this fanfic is going, so if you think it strays a bit, that will most likely be the cause. Sorry!)