iv. Battle Trials

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Battle Trials

UA's hero course curriculum included normal core classes in the morning. Shota Aiwaza took care of the homeroom while Hazashi Yamada, aka Present Mic, taught English and Ken Ishiyama, aka Cementoss taught Modern Literature, and finally, Mathematics was taught by Ectoplasm. Then the students eat lunch in the main cafeteria, called Lunch Rush named after the cook hero who serves a variety of first-rate cuisines for school lunches. This was a large food court with many venues for students to buy their food at low prices. The lunch hall had long tables, each with ten chairs to sit on, Chinese-themed decorations and large double doors. Finally, in the afternoon, it was hero basic training with Toshinori Yagi, aka All Might.

"I am here! Coming through the door like a normal person!" Zatanna turned her head to face  All Might who let himself in with a dramatic flair and a smile ingrained in him. His presence had immediately lit the room with comments about his arrival.

"Can't believe it's really All Might!" Denki spoke. "So he really is a teacher, this year is totally gonna be awesome!" Kirishima exclaims ecstatically. "Hey, look. Is he wearing his silver age costume?" Asui wondered. "I'm getting goosebumps, it's so retro." Mashiro looks in awe.

Zatanna's shoulders dropped and her spine bowed a little hearing people gush over their hero. Her chest ached and she let out a heavy sigh, rubbing her palm on her pained chest, hoping it would ease the sadness she felt all of a sudden.

She was awfully familiar with the pain, the pain when she began doubting herself. Her stomach would churn whenever she compared her worth to others. Stuck with her spiteful thoughts she caught them, trying to ponder the opposite. Zatanna quickly masked her uncertainty with a content smile.

Though she was delighted All Might be her teacher, a part of her couldn't help but feel pressured in the need to prove herself to him, to show him that one day she'll be the greatest hero and that was what she promised to herself and her father. She took All Might's extremely friendly and amicable personality as motivation to keep smiling because the ones who are the strongest, smile in the darkest of times.

Her change in demeanour hadn't gone unnoticed by the no.1 hero and thought to ask her about it later. Her cheery expression made him smile even wider. He noticed how her eyes lit up, filled with so much hope. She could instantly make jaws drop and heads turn with a glowing smile like hers.

He coughed, realizing he was sweating and nervously chuckled, moving on to what he had to say. He couldn't understand why he was feeling hot out of the blue. He rubbed his sweaty palms on his costume as he spoke, ignoring the odd sensation in his stomach.

"Welcome to the most important class at UA High! Think of it as heroeing 101! Here you will learn the basics of being a pro and what it means to fight in the name of good! Let's get into it!" All Might spoke, flexing. "For today's lesson, combat training!"