Chapter 3

"Lexi..... Lexi, please wake up." I recognize that voice. It was sweet, kind, Lada. My brain was scrambled as I sat up.

"What kind of car was it," I groaned, trying to sit up off the floor. She seemed fine. Little cuts peppered her legs like she ran through a thicket and she had a red mark around the back of her neck like someone had gripped her. Torexx. They found her. What else did they learn? How many other hiding spots around the town would they find? How many people did they take?

"Lex, this isn't a joke. What happened?" It took me a minute, my mind was still scrambled from the male.

"We were in the shop, and I ran. They wanted you...." They got her, and I couldn't stop it. I wasn't fast enough to get away. She would've gotten away. If I was hiding she would've gotten away to protect me.

"Hey, it's okay. Please don't cry." She pulled me into a hug "It's ok, we'll get through whatever this is." I didn't realize when the tears started flowing down my face but now I was powerless to stop them. Why couldn't I have been a bit faster, kept them out of my mind a bit longer?

"How'd they find you," I choked out, brushing the tears from my face.

"A female kept, moving around the town. Your uncle let me out and I made a break for the woods thinking you'd made it. She saw me though and a few males chased me down. I didn't stand a chance." She stopped for a minute to take a steadying breath. "Then they put me here. You were dragged in a few minutes after. I thought you were... I.. I didn't think you were breathing." I felt her grip tighten on my shirt as she pulled me closer. I noticed now we were in some holding room: complete with tiled floor, metal door, and a metal panel covered glass. Probably a window.

"How long have you been here?"

"It feels like a couple of hours, but I'm not sure." A few hours? Did that mean I've been out for that long? "I saw a few other kids from our grade, most of them were out cold."

"Did you see Walker?" Lada shook her head as her eyes darted around the room. I found myself wanting to do the same, maybe there was an air vent we could slip through, but my thoughts were cut short by the words of the saffron-scaled male. "Consequences." The Torexx were known for being brutal to their captives, nothing would stop them from beating us senseless. So I kept my head down and counted the scrapes on Lada's legs. Each one a way I failed her.