Chapter 33

"Come on Calepus." I could hear Hemphin whining from outside of my door, and Calepus wasn't having it. The storm outside had been raging for two days, and despite the size of the house the boys were starting to get bored. Calepus tried to throw himself into modifying Yukera's fleet, but Hemphin desperately wanted to spar, and Rozener had made himself scarce.

"I have obligations," Calepus stated as he pushed through the door. I took quick steps to stand in front of my bookshelf to not look like I was eavesdropping, but I was stilted trying to reproduce natural movements. "Are you ready to work on your shoulder?"

"I can help," Hemphin shouted and ran behind me, placing his hands on my hips. "Can't I lex?" He squeezed my hips and I yelped a yes. He knew I wouldn't have said no, he wanted to make me yelp. He thought I was hilarious. Hiccuping, sneezing, blushing, yelping, laughing; everything I did amused him, and he relished in causing the reactions.

"If you stop whining," Calepus conceded.

"Yes." Then I was being turned and lifted over Hemphin's shoulder as he ran to the door.

"Put. Her. Down." I was caught between two males who were itching to fight with one another. I didn't think Hemphin knew what it meant to face off against Calepus once he was angry, but I knew he didn't want to deal with it.

"Hemphin," I whispered, trying not to wiggle. Hemphin was strong but not as strong as Cale. "Don't start this, please."

"Don't worry, cutie," He drawled and I mentally face-palmed.

Don't you dare, Cale? He was getting ready to drop Hemphin, I might have been inclined to agree if I wasn't perched so precariously.

I'm going to murder him.

While I'm being held by him! I think not.

"Please, put me down." Hemphin pouted a bit, but thank God, he set me down and patted my head.

"I'll go get your stuff ready," he said and sprinted off down the hall. I thought I could feel Cale's heart pounding in the space between us, but it could have been mine. I was simply relieved I wasn't stuck between them any longer.

"I'm sorry about him."

"Don't worry too much. I'm not hurt."

"I know you aren't," he murmured and leaned in for a kiss. He stepped back and cupped my face. That look he gave me, I hated that look. I was to be taken care of. I knew it, but I didn't want to be doted on at all hours. "I just want you to stay that way."

"They won't hurt me. I'm not fragile, my love."

"I know." We took a few moments and simply looked at each other, then Cale smiled and pecked my lips. "Let's go work."

Hemphin had been getting far too close after he and Calepus's fight, and I was starting to get nervous. He came to my physical therapy and touched me whenever the excuse arose, so Calepus changed the time for our session. Then Hemphin would come to lunch, which was fine until he started grabbing my hand, or pressing his leg into mine. Cale wouldn't let him sit next to me after that. Shit hit the fan when Cale came storming into my room to find out why I was so panicked.

"It's alright Lex," Hemphin cooed, trying to strong-arm me back into bed. My shoulder was still in a sling, so I couldn't elbow him as he carried me away from the door, that he had locked. "Let's just cuddle for a bit. Then you can fall asleep and it'll be like I'm not even here." I was trying to use whatever mindlink ability I had, but I had been failing miserably the past couple of days Calepus had tried to teach me.