Chapter 36

Hemphin came storming through the ship once he realized Lexi was no longer in the cockpit, but I had already finished everything I needed to do, and so she lay peacefully in a plastic bubble.

"What are you doing to her!"

"We don't want her turning blue if there are any of those DNA-transposing viruses on board. I'm keeping her in a sterile room."

"She never formed scales," Hemphin argued, but their scales were a minute mutation from Human DNA, she might only form small callouses on her head without the proper diet.

"Blue, allows my people to deal with cosmic radiation in generous amounts. Do you think your uncle will be happy if his nice little human girl turns blue?"

"He might find it intriguing."

"Well, I don't. She stays in the bubble until we land." There was also a slight sedative in the bubble, not enough to knock her out cold, but enough to keep her from doing anything stupid. She wasn't all there, but I was worried she'd try to escape once she figured out how. Her brain had to start producing her chemical emotions again at some point, but I didn't know how long that would take. It was easier if she was asleep. Every captive was easier when they were asleep.

Calepus.

I think I might kill Hemphin. He'd pulled stupid stunts before, but this... I'd seen his dreams through Lexi. I knew he wanted her, but kidnapping her. I felt her terror, and everything just stopped. He cut her off from me, and I felt part of my world die. It was like a part was carved from my soul. I couldn't run fast enough. They were gone by the time I reached my aunt. Simple stitchwork was sitting in the chair they took her from. She was working on little pink flowers... Pink is her favorite color.

"We'll find them Calepus, he couldn't have gone far."

"He could be on his way back to my uncle in some sick hope he'll give her over," I shouted. I rubbed the small stitched flower in my pocket, it only enraged me more. I trusted that pompous ass despite my better judgment. It was my fault she was gone, I shouldn't have left her alone.

"Calepus," Aunt Yukera laid her hand on my shoulder and I could feel the calm flood my system. "Letting this eat at you will not help us find her. I've sent ships to intercept, but do you know where they're headed?"

"The Phoenix is flying a straight course, planned so it will never be intercepted by a planet, turning that thing would take too much energy, even for the massive generators. It would be... what year is it?" Rozener eyeballed me like I was mad, but he told me. "It would be passing The Rit now, I don't know where exactly."

"The fastest way to The Rit is flight route 21. 32 miles from the Hyperic 12. I'll send the route."

"I'm going."

"Sit down Calepus. He's not going to hand her back quietly, and you don't want to get caught in a scene like that." I ignored Rozener and started towards the hangar, but two of my aunt's guards stepped in my way. "Calepus, everyone knows why you left. They will be happy to turn you back to Torexx. What will you do then?"

"I don't deserve her," I try to continue through the door.

"Maybe not, but she needs you. What am I supposed to tell her when she's empty, and broken, and alone? Would it be easier on her to say you left, or to tell her why you were arrested?"

"Shut up, Roze..."

"It's not about me Calepus. Think about her."

"That's all I've been doing Roze." I felt like I was pleading with myself. I was letting Rozener get to me and he could see it.