Chapter 34

"Rusilike, are you alright?" I had just put Lilain to bed, she was exhausted after her training, but I could see the same tiredness in my mate's eyes as well. He pasted on a sad smile and sat to eat the dinner that was sent up. "Rus? Did something happen?"

"Nothing you should concern yourself with. Is Lilain asleep?" His frown turned more to a scowl. I hated his temper. He went from loving caring mate to moody goth in seconds, most of the time without reason. He was always patient with Lilain, but she never needed much coaxing to climb walls or run till she could barely see straight, she was like her father. Recently with me he'd become curt, bored even. I supposed it was better than when he hit me, but at least then he had a reason too, now he was just upset.

"She worked hard today. She wanted to tell you about her sparring match, but I said you'd be back late." He grunted and went back to his food. Lilain had sparred with someone twice her size this morning. I didn't like it, but my daughter held her own. She was too mature for her age. Rusilike dumped his plate in the dish shoot and sat in his reading chair. He waited for me to sit with him, but I was suddenly tired. "I think I'm going to bed."

"I'll carry you to bed. Come sit." I listened reluctantly and eased onto his lap as brought up reports that I couldn't read. "Calepus kidnapped Lexi."

"What?" I knew there had been strain because she couldn't conceive, but he took her?

"They ran off. We're looking for her now, but we don't know what she'll be like when we find her." That was terrible, she couldn't have stopped Calepus if she wanted to, but she probably went with him willingly. She wouldn't have known any better than to do what he said.

"You don't think... Do you think he'll hurt her?"

"No, I think he's just very confused. We don't think she's at risk though. She'll need you once we find her, whatever happened I'm sure it was traumatic." I didn't know what to do with myself and with that news. Rusilike guided my head into his shoulder and played with my hair. "She'll be okay."

"I know she's strong, I'm just worried about her," I murmured.

"We'll bring her home. Don't worry about it too much now." A little pulse started under Rusilikes touch and I relaxed. They would find her, but I still had to live in the moment. I still had to be there for my daughter, no matter if I was worried or not.

"Daddy?" I hear Lilain, but I couldn't even move my muscles at that point.

"Shhh, honey, Mommy is sleeping." I couldn't fight it when I blacked out, I really must have been exhausted.