Chapter 14

"What ...hell ...that?"

"You can't convince me she's...."

"Everything..... If it happens... Should we?"

"No... Get power...."

My eyes fluttered open to the whitish room Arthur left me in. I was on the couch though with myrtle tucked under me. My clothes were clean too and I didn't wreak sweat. Wow, another big invasion of my personal space! They didn't care, why should they, I'm just their stupid dog. I need to get out, no one will help me though... Calepus might, but he's in stasis. It's probably a long shot though, he wouldn't betray his people or his family. How long will they leave me in here?

I stared at the ceiling for a while and made shapes out of the dots on it. I got bored though so I tossed myrtle around; that got boring even faster. I knew there had to be something in here watching me, I've calmed down, so why haven't they come for me yet? I wonder what they're doing at home right now? It's been at least a year now, do they still remember what happened, or have we all faded into oblivion? I wonder if my brother still thinks about me? Do they still remember my birthday? I don't even know what day it was we were taken, I never really knew the date until German class. It was an awful habit because whenever we had to write it on a quiz I never knew. Sometime in spring, it was lacrosse season. The boys had a game that I was supposed to watch. There was a rumor that Spencer was going to ask me to prom after it, can you imagine if they'd lost? How would he have asked then? A slight click at the door had my head spinning to see what was happening. The captain came in with his top button undone and hair mussed. He looked like he did when he first rolled out of bed every morning. Somehow he always managed to have his hair messed up the same way. He took a seat on the edge of the couch.

"Wanna tell me what happened?" He messed up his again as he stared at the wall.

"When?"

"Why don't we start with greenhouse?" He glanced over at me and waited. Do I really want to tell him? Do I have a choice?

"That sick bastard was so proud of what he put her through. She was red and bruised... She was terrified because of how often he'd hurt her. Now she calls after him with a smile and carries his damned child as she asked for it. It's Stockholms at best."

"So you're upset that she's happy?

"I'm upset that he is such a horrible being and got the best, kindest, and most amazing person I know. I'm upset that I look back and she was hurt and now she carries that things child with a smile that I might kill someone for. She's my best friend and I couldn't protect her."

"So you want to protect her? Aren't you two the same age?"

"She never stood up for herself. I always tried to be there for her, I can't... I failed her, and I'll never be able to make it up." My body was trembling. They always walked over her without a care that she was so awesome; they only saw an easy tease until the day they turned on me. I'd never seen Lada so worked up, or bold. They hadn't either; their eyes bulged out of their heads as she said some obscene things. I don't think I've ever been so proud, other than the time my brother finished his first cross country meet.

"You're not her protector, Little one, not anymore."

"Neither is he," I yelled, jumping from the couch. "He abused her and got away with it. A protector does not abuse the person he has been charged with. Their charge should not be fearful of them. Rusillike is an abuser that has been left in power."

"Does Lada look like she's been abused?"

"Said the attorney even after the wounds had months to heal. You're all happy because she's carrying that stupid baby. What will you do with us after we've had your kids?"