Sliding into your arms

Past...

It was the weekend, and Patrick had come home while Vera was off filming another project. It was odd when only one parent was in the house since they did so much together, but you didn't mind because it was better than neither of them. You still missed the other, though, terribly. Your mother was your right hand, and Patrick was your left. Without the two of them, something was missing. They both seemed lost and lonely without the other, which was why it was rare for only one of them to be away unless it was a photo shoot or interview.

"So pumpkin I was thinking we could build you a swing and slide out in the back garden."

"But what about Mommy's flowers?"

"I will make sure that it doesn't go near the flowers. We can build it on the other side of the garden. Don't worry. So do you want to help out your Daddy?"

"Yes!" As you stood up super excited, you began jumping up and down on the stop, giggling as you went. Patrick picked you up as he carried you downstairs and into the garden. You put your little wet boots on and ran into the middle of the garden, continuing to bounce up and down. Patrick got out a cardboard box from the basement that had the construction kit in. He placed it to the far right of the garden while your mother's plants were on the left side. He opened the box, pulling out all the parts and instructions. Then, he went and got his tool kit and placed it on the grass at the side of the box. You looked into the huge box. "What can I do to help Daddy?"

"Hmm. You can be my tool assistant. Whenever I need a tool you can pass it me. But if it's too heavy then just tell me alright. Or if I need a water break you can hand me the bottle."

"Yes Daddy." Patrick looked over the instructions, just scanning them at first, then analysing them deeply. Firstly, he took the first big part, which was the huge wooden plank that held up the swing.

"Can I have the hammer pumpkin?"

"Which one is the hammer?"

"Oh. Err the one that has a big round head." You pulled out the spanner, examining it. "No not that one pumpkin. Pull out another one." You pulled out the next tool, which was actually the hammer. "Yes that's it, now pass it to me." You walked over, struggling as you placed it in his hands. "Thanks pumpkin. Was it heavy?"

"A little." You walked back over to the toolbox, looking at all the others in the box. There were nails, screws and screwdrivers which had all the different sized connections. As Patrick hammered the frame into the place, you looked in the cardboard box again. Leaning over it to try and see if there was anything at the bottom. The box fell as you leant too much on it, shallowing you in its centre. Darkness filled your surroundings as you began to cry. You sobbed, screaming a little at-home dark it was. "Daddy!" Patrick turned to see the box now toppled over. As he picked it up, you lifted up your arms with tears running down your face. He smiled, picking you up and kissing you.

"It's alright pumpkin I've got you." As you leant into his shoulder, his phone rang, pulling it out of his back pocket; it read the name 'Vera'. "Oh it's Mommy." He placed the phone to his ear with you still in his arms. "Hi hon. Yeah me and Y/N are building the swing and slide. Hang on Vera. Y/N do you want to talk to Mommy." You smiled and nodded as he passed you the phone.

"Hi baby."

"Hi Mommy."

"Are you having fun with Daddy."

"Yes but the box just fell on me but Daddy saved me."

"Aww of course he did. I love you sweetie."

"I love you to Mommy. I miss you."

"I miss you too, but I'll be home soon."

"When?"