Back to School from Hell

Present...

It was early morning; you heard Vera's car drive off the front. You ran downstairs into the lounge to watch her leave. As the car escaped your sight, a sense of fear overcame you. What if she doesn't come home? Stop being silly; of course, she will come home. You walked back upstairs as Patrick came out of their room. "I thought I heard you moving around. Are you alright?"

"Yes I just watched Mom leave." The sadness fell onto your face thinking about how far away she must be getting from you by now. Patrick grabbed your hand as took you into their bedroom.

"Come on let's go back to bed. You can sleep in your Mom's side." When laying your head against her pillow. That beautiful smell of strawberries hit you. You tried to lean further into the pillow to take in every bit of the scent.

"Dad what would you say smell wise reminds you of Mom?"

"Hmm. I think it would have to be the smell of her perfume. You know the posh one she got sent from our PA. The smell of like almost daisies. Why?"

"I always think of the smell of her strawberry shampoo and that's all you can smell on her pillow."

"Oh yeah your Mom started using that shampoo not long before you were born because someone on set suggested it to her for helping keep her hair strong. What smell do you associate with me then?"

"Hmm, I think it would have to be the smell of flesh clothes. For some reason even though you use that cologne Mom brought you for Christmas, the laundry still seems to smell stronger."

"Well I don't know whether to take that as an insult or not." You looked at him anxiously. "I'm only joking pumpkin." He pulled you towards him and kissed your head. "Come on lets have a cuddle like we use to when you were little." He wrapped his arms around you tight as he cradled you like you were still that delicate little baby. "You see I don't know about your Mom but I associate the smell of that lavender spray you have as like your scent."

"You mean that on I spray on my pillow?"

"Yes that one." You moved up closer to him, trying to forget your Mom wasn't in the house. "Shall we make waffles or pancakes for breakfast?"

"Pancakes because waffles is something we have to do with Mom. Have you gotten over the dare yet from last night?" You giggled as you looked up into his eyes. He shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"Aunty Cate, was way too soft on you."

"I think she felt sorry for Mom realising that she couldn't hug anyone while the film was on."

"That or your Aunty Sandra would be upset with her if she kept that one." You both laughed, thinking about Aunty Sandra's face as Vera got upset. "Come on lets go make them pancakes."

You both headed downstairs, still in your pj's. As you went into the kitchen, there were notes on the table for the two of you in little white envelopes. Patrick opened his smiling as he read what Vera wrote. You picked it up as you opened it slowly, worried that it was going to be something bad.

'Dear Y/N,

I am so sorry that I can't be home with you today. But please don't ever doubt for a second that I don't love you because I have to work a lot. Your Dad told me what those girls have said to you. Sweetie, they are so wrong, and I wish I could show you some way. I want to hold you until that pain and upset leaves you. I promise you that me and your Dad love you more than anything in the whole world. I understand if you still want to stay friends with these girls, but in my opinion, they aren't friends at all. Mommy loves you, baby.

See you at dinner.

Mom.'

A tear was rolling down your eye as you read the wonderful words your mother had said. She loves me. 'Mommy loves you.' I know she says it all the time and why I would even doubt that is another matter but seeing those words written on paper it makes it more material. I am a material girl as Mom used to sing when I was little, as she sang along to some song. Patrick came behind you hugged you almost like Cate did last night. As he kissed your cheek, he read the words your mother had put to you. "Come on lets make them pancakes. Now Mom has made the two of us emotional." You turned around as she hugged Patrick tight.