Catching Peace - Seven: Thunder Clatter

Chapter Seven
Thunder Clatter

"You spoke like broken thunder,
Deep into the center of me.
I couldn't say what I was thinking.
My heart shrinking,
Two sad sparks blinking in the sun."

Outside, the air was sticky and stuffy. The humidity unbearable. The beach, however, gave a sort of sweet escape for those seeking to get some cool water onto their bodies. The beach was packed because of this, many people seeking the sun rays to get some beautiful tans while others decided to play some ball on the sandy ground. People of all walks of life came to the beach, hoping to get some freedom and happiness. Even people from other states and countries came to experience what Westerly's beach was like.

Dakota watched this all happen from inside the cool parlor, her hair pulled into a bun. Her apron hiding the fact she was wearing a white flowy dress that she had picked up two days ago at the mall. She had sandals on, her blue painted toenails on show.

She leaned against the cold cooler, watching the patrons outside eating their ice cream, the stickiness leaking onto their cheeks. She gave a small smile and from the corner of the parlor, she could see a group of boys skate by on their skateboards. For an instant, she thought among them would be Enrique but to her disappointment, it wasn't and the group of boys did not look like the boys she saw at the mall.

It was already noon and she grew warily that he wouldn't show.

Mrs. Lopez walked in from the backroom, her eyes cast down onto her and she gave her a smile. "Do you want to put the radio on, darling? You look bored out of your mind."

"I just served the first wave of customers, none are coming in until the twelve thirty mark." Dakota explained as she inched around the cooler, heading to the wall and flipped on a switch. The two loud speakers installed into the ceiling started playing music and Dakota smiled at the song playing.

We the Kings, nice.

Mrs. Lopez gave her a hearty laugh, putting down the box she was carrying onto the counter and opened it. "I can see you are getting in tone with what happens around here. That's good!"

Dakota smiled and laughed. She tapped her foot against the tile floored, watching Mrs. Lopez take out new cups and spoons. She glanced back outside and her back straightened up when she saw two approaching figures.

Cyrus and Enrique.

Dakota's heart hammered in her chest and her hands started to get sweaty as she thought of him coming to her. She gulped and turned to Mrs. Lopez, who had noticed Dakota's mood and was smiling knowingly.

"He's a handsome fellow." She commented as she picked up the now empty box and walked to the back. "Make sure he cleans after himself, eh?"

Dakota nodded numbly, her eyes slightly dazed and she glanced back toards the door when it swung open. The boys entered with smiles and Dakota gave them a smile back. "Hello, here to order or to annoy me?"

"Funny." Cyrus laughed and shook his head. "You picked yourself a funny gal, Enrique."

Hoping they wouldn't notice her blush, which they did, Dakota ducked her head and walked back towards the cooler.

"We're here to order and to socialize. I was coming by myself but this loser decided to attach himself to me." Enrique grinned and glanced at her. "Do you know my regular?"

"Your regular? Would that be a vanilla milkshake with a cherry on top?"

"You are amazing."

Dakota didn't know why but her heart stumbled at his comment and she nodded, heading towards the mixer. She started to make the milkshake when Enrique again made a small comment.