Catching Peace - Ten: Four Walls

Chapter Ten:
Four Walls

'And I'm trying hard to make you love me,
But I don't wanna try too hard.
And I'm trying to take it lightly,
But we're here now.
And those four walls now are the only place that I can breathe out.
And those four walls now are home.'

Enrique stared at Dakota as she laid on the truck's hood, her back pressed against the window. She had a stick of wheat in her mouth, chewing on the stem. She had her hand behind her head and the radio playing, her eyes closed as she relaxed. They were at the beach, in the parking lot where people parked to get closer to the ice cream parlor and the arcade. In the morning and afternoons it would be crowdie as hell and thick with anger from restless parents and children. However in the night, when the sun went down, kids like Dakota and Enrique would go there to either a) make out, b) fall in love or c) listen to their own music.

And c was the one they were currently doing, something they seemed to be always doing.

Enrique could see that she was enjoying the music and his company and all he wanted to get close to her and hold onto her.

He wanted to be with her. He wanted to be desperately close with her, to be able to touch her and tell her how much he felt for her. She was something straight out of a movie. She was everything he ever wanted but for some reason she didn't see that.

She just focused on the bad in her head, her father and her mother. He desperately wanted to change how she thought but he had no clue how. Every move he made seemed like it was the worst and every word he spoke seemed like it was too difficult to understand. He had managed to open her up at the beach, maybe the beach is what brought them closer.

He sighed as he thought this, his hands running through his hair. Should he make a whole cheesy speech on how he would never harm her or let her harm him? Should he drop on his knees and beg her to tell him everything that was happening? He wanted her to just let him in. To just be able to tell him what she was feeling.

But it seemed like one day they would make progress and the next day she would force them several steps back. It felt the roles were switched here in all honestly to Enrique. If this was a cliché book or movie, he would have been the one running away and forcing Dakota to rethink her actions. He would be making her feel how she had made him feel during the whole time driving here, helpless and clueless. Maybe even anxious and spellbound on how much she loved him.

Because, no matter what he had told her, he was in love with her.

He loved her. He had realized this when those three words slipped out his mouth when they were at the cliff. He had fallen for her and he had no clue how to tell her if she was always so afraid of him, so afraid of the feelings they both had for each other. He knew for a fact that if he even mentioned the word love around her, she would run away fast.

It was like she was a deer and he was a human who wanted to touch her. Every time he would reach his hand out to her, to make physical contact, she would bolt and keep a 'safe' and fair distance between them. So maybe he should apply that mental concept to where they are. Treat her like a scared deer.

Enrique turned to stare at Dakota and immediately that thought disappeared. He shouldn't have thought of that, she wasn't like that. She was not weak in the slightest way, she was holding herself together; scared out of her mind that she would end up like her parents. He didn't know completely why she was so scared, he didn't really know what was happening with her parents but he wanted to know. He wanted to understand what she was going through at home so he could assure her that he wasn't going to hurt her.