Catching Peace - Nine: It All Starts Here

Chapter Nine:
It All Starts Here

"God damn this restless heart, keeping me up through the night.
I'm flying down the interstate in the same old car that I used to drive.
Gold dust in the desert air, radio droning on and on.
Don't hold back, don't hesitate.
Cause we've got fire, it's in our blood."

Dakota leaned over the sink, her hands shaking with the mascara in her hand. She raised her shaky hand to her left eye, breathing in to calm herself down before slowly applying the mascara to her eyelashes. She was dressed in a white cropped top with high-wasted shorts that were tan with brown flowers printed on them. She had pulled her long blonde hair into a pony tail; curled slightly at the ends. Her wrists were filled with many bracelets, bangles and bands.

Sandra had invited both Dakota and Enrique to a party at her older brother's house. Usually Dakota would decline; she had a major fear of going to social outings surrounded by people she did not know but because Sandra had asked Enrique and he had said he would only go if Dakota went, she felt she had to go to show Enrique a good time.

She bit her lip as she thought of how she reacted when they were at the cliff and he had told her he was in love her. She had to admit it though, her first insistent was to run away, to run out of her truck screaming into the night and never show her face to him. But she managed to calm herself down, by counting to ten in her head and ask him politely, what the hell had he said.

By some miracle, Enrique managed to tell her off the bat that he had not meant it. That it was just something stirred in the moment. He explained that the mood and the kiss tricked himself into saying it. While she appreciated that it wasn't true, deep inside her; the part of her that was fucked up and held onto dreams like a little girl; she felt like it was a complete lie.

And for some reason, she wanted the truth.

Dakota fixed her mascara when it smudged against her cheek and she huffed in annoyance, glaring at her reflection in the mirror. How can regular teenaged girls manage this? Why did they want this every day?

It was so stupid and so misleading.

But somehow, it made her feel good about herself. It gave her a bit more confidence. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, calming her nerves and returned in doing her mascara.

As she finished, she noticed that there was a presence in her bathroom. Looking in the corner of her mirror, she saw a slim looking woman with long blonde hair standing there. She looked like she was twenty years old, barely touching twenty-one. She had blue glassy eyes and fair looking skin, almost like she hardly came out in the sun.

She was far different than her father's normal lays.

She arched an eyebrow at her, she must have perfectly plunked it to make it so thin, and she smiled at her with white like snow teeth. "Hello. My name is-"

"I don't care." Dakota cut her off as she screwed her mascara back together and she took out her eyeliner. If she just ignore her, she would go away. They always either went away or started bitching to her. She leaned closer to her mirror and started doing her winged eyeliner.

She froze in shock when the girl stepped closer and put down an liquid eyeliner down on the sink. "Here, this will help pop out of your eyes."

Dakota stared down at the eyeliner with narrowed, untrusting eyes and she glanced at her. "This is not giving you any brownie points with my father. He'll keep fucking you until my mom sees or finds out. Then your out."

The girl stared at Dakota with wide eyes before slowly casting her eyes down. She bit her lip and sighed softly.

"I am not one of your father's bunnies." She said softly.