Carry On Wayward Son

11th June 2019

"I should have told her the way I feel,

But our time is drawing near,

"What about this one?" Jaxon held up a piece of paper with a few scribbled notes on it, a small head photo attached to the top corner. "He could really sing."

"But seemed more interested in chatting up the girls than listening to us," Tori chimed in. "Number 3, whatever his name was - Tom, Toby - had stage presence."

"Nah, he seemed like a complete control freak to me and we've already got one of those." Jaxon playfully winked at Tori, who glared at him.

"It's not controlling to want everything perfect," Tori retorted.

"True, but it does seem a waste of time to have your socks lined up in order of the day you want to wear them."

Tori's mouth fell open. "How'd you know I do that?"

"You really think my sister doesn't talk to me? She loves talking with her baby brother." Jaxon batted his eyelashes whilst holding back a smirk.

Tori rubbed a hand over his face. "What else has she told you?"

"Maybe something, maybe nothing. Whatever ammunition I've gained shall be revealed when, and as, needed." Jaxon rubbed his hands together in obvious glee.

"I'm going to kill her."

"If I thought you were serious, I'd be worried, but we all know she's got you whipped," Jaxon said.

Tori seemed to swell with the words he wanted to retort, but then he sighed and deflated.

"True."

Jaxon clapped him on the shoulder. "Nothing to be ashamed of, bro. At least when my sister is happy she isn't nagging me so you carry on doing you."

Tori grumbled under his breath but let Jaxon walk on.

"So what do you think? Think we can find a replacement for Hunter in these candidates?" Tori nodded to the wad of papers in Jaxon's hand.

I hiked up my guitar bag, so it was sitting higher on my shoulder, giving me time to think.

"There's some potential there but... I don't know." I dropped my head in frustration.

"None really seem to fit." Tori finished my thoughts for me.

"Exactly. I just can't see any of these being our frontman."

"I know what you mean," Jaxon said looking dejected. "Can't believe we had to bail on Evie for this."

"I think her and Hazel had a good day though." Tori pulled out his phone and flicked through Hazel's messages. "Plus the weather is better tomorrow, anyway."

I glanced up at the sky, noticing the grey clouds rolling overhead. It had been raining on and off all day.

"I hope this June gloom passes by tomorrow, otherwise the observatory will be one epic washout."

Jaxon and Tori nodded in agreement.

"Wonder if Evie's still here?" Jaxon pushed through our front door, taking off his raincoat and boots.

Each of us, just in our socks, padded through the hallway towards the main communal space that served as kitchen, dining area and living room.

"Mmhhh something smells good." Jaxon's head lifted, and he breathed in deeply.